paint zoom

Old 05-01-11, 12:14 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint zoom

Has anyone used the paint zoom spray painter advertised on tv or know anyone that has.I would like to know if its as great as they want you to beleive it is. Thanks for your help

Old 05-01-11, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not familiar with that sprayer [haven't seen the commercial] but generally the ones that are advertised on TV are junk not worth buying. IMO if you can't justify or afford a good airless spray pump it's better to rent one.

I just did a search on 'paint zoom' I doubt you would be happy with it. Basically it's a cheap HVLP sprayer. According to their chart, latex paint would need to be thinned 50% in order to spray it. HVLP's have their uses [although it's doubtful this one has much quality] but mainly for spraying small objects, it's not something you would want to use to spray walls [interior or exterior]

The add said all you have to do is pull the trigger to paint like a pro There is a lot more to spraying than pulling the trigger. 1st you need to prepare the site to limit/contain overspray, walls and siding should be backrolled [or backbrushed] both for coverage and to work the coating into the substrate. It also takes a little practice to find the fine line between not enough paint and having runs.

Last edited by marksr; 05-01-11 at 05:15 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-01-11, 06:57 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint zoom

Thanks i will take your advice & stay away from this product.

Old 05-01-11, 06:14 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wheelers:

I'm assuming that this is the product you're inquiring about:

Buy Paint Zoom ™|Easy, Mess-Free Professional Painting Results

From what I can see, it's a toy air compressor connected to a toy spray gun. Take a look at the spray gun. Spary guns of this design work exactly the same as the carburetors on cars of days gone by. Basically, the inside diameter of the carburation is a "venturi" shape:

Bernoulli's equation says that the energy along any streamline is constant. For a fluid like air, that means that the internal energy (assuming constant temperature, this is just the pressure of the air) plus it's kinetic energy (it's velocity) plus it's potential energy (which is the energy associated with elevation, so that you have to expend energy to lift something, and it releases that energy as it drops).

Since the air has to speed up to get through the narrow section of the venturi, it's kinetic energy increases, and according to Mr. Bernoulli, that means some other energy has to decrease the same amount. There's no change in elevation, so the increase in air speed results in a drop in air pressure in the narrow section of the venturi. That's why the fluid level in the manometer is higher on the right side than on the left.

And, it's precisely this drop in air pressure in the narrow section of the venturi that's supposed to suck the paint up from container in the spray gun. If you do get a strong enough suction, then the paint will flow up the tube from the container and be carried by the strong air flow out the spray gun nozzle as a mist.

But, I'm looking at that puny air compressor, and I can't see any way that that toy can generate enough air flow to produce a serious vaccuum in the venturi, which is what you're gonna need to suck up a viscous liquid like latex or oil based paint. If it doesn't produce sufficient air flow, then the paint remains in the container and all you're doing is compressing air and releasing it out the spray gun. No paint will flow, and so the air coming out of that spray gun won't contain any paint mist.

Hey, I got an idea! Why not ask the manufacturer if you can try it before you buy. If it worked in even a half a$$ed way, then the manufacturer (pronounced "importer") wouldn't bother selling this junk on the internet. He'd demonstrate it for the buyers of major retail chains like Home Depot, Ace Hardware and Wal-mart, and if those buyers liked what they saw, they'd agree to put a few of them in some of their stores on a trial basis and see if they sell. If you don't see it in a retail store, it's because the Importer couldn't convince any bigger fish that it was worth the money. That's why they're selling this junk on the internet largely based on "testimonials" written by the importer and is wife.

If this thing worked well, then paint stores would be selling them to professional painters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: