New paint scratches off

Old 12-30-00, 09:55 PM
Visiting Guest
We purchased an older home and we painted the walls and trim in the bedrooms with a latex satin interior paint, after the paint dries you can scratch it off with your fingernail. I scrapped all the paint we put on a door and the paint the previous owners painted, it looked like they painted over a varnished door, well I got a white oil based primer and put 2 coats on the door, but as it dried it took on a rubbery feel and texture, and after 2 days of drying I can scratch it off with my fingernail....Help....What can i paint my doors and trim with that won't scratch off. One bedroom had wallpaper and i painted over it with a latex satin interior and it scratches off the wall also...

Old 12-31-00, 05:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi There,

LATEX OVER OIL ,BUMMER. BIG MESS try lightly sanding and you will have to prime walls with oil base primer to seal them up. Then when oil base dries, coat back with latex.
FYI in the future there is a simple test to check if it is oil or latex. Try Rubbing Alcohol, if the existing paint is oil base it will not move. If it is latex it will come off on the rag.

Have fun

Old 12-31-00, 09:54 AM
Visiting Guest
nikki3179
What type of oil primer did you use? I have seen cheeper variety of primers not work well at all or made a big mess like you describe. How long did you let the primer dry? You mentioned it was rubbery, are you sure it was completly dry? If it was bad primer then you may need to strip the doors and re-do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: