help tacky walls

Old 05-17-11, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help tacky walls

got that wonderful Velspar paint and [put 2 coats on my kitchen walls and this am they walls are all tacky adn sticky. what happened ? What do I do now? Roz

Old 05-17-11, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
You applied two coats of paint this morning? That may not be enough time for the paint to dry. The tacky and sticky could just be wet paint.

Since it's a kitchen, did you de-grease and thoroughly clean the walls before painting? Are you a smoker? Both grease from cooking and cigarette smoke can cause problems when painting.

Old 05-17-11, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Were the walls clean before applying the paint? Grease and/or oil on the substrate can make it difficult for latex paints to dry properly

How long ago did you apply the paint? How much drying time between coats?

Old 05-17-11, 04:33 AM
well sounds like you answered my question . painted yesterday and had 3hrs between to dry . but no rally didnt clean the walls and yes we do smoke. so what can be done now.

Old 05-17-11, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't panic just yet, give the paint a day or two and see if it dries on it own. If not, recoating the walls with a primer might help - but it would be best to check with the folks at your local paint store to find out for sure and which primer would be best. I've run across this before but not on a large scale.

Old 05-17-11, 05:01 AM
when you say a primer do you mean a white primer then the color of paint again . Or A paint with primer in it. thanks Roz

Old 05-17-11, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most primers can be tinted. You'd apply 1 coat of primer [tinted to color coat if desired/needed] and then 1 coat of finish paint...... but I'd wait a few days before applying any more paint/primer to the walls. Give the current paint every chance to dry. Cool damp conditions will also slow down drying/curing time. Warm, dry moving air generally speeds up the drying time.

Finish paints don't really have primer in it although some coatings are formulated so a primer isn't needed. A separate primer is almost always better. If this paint doesn't dry - you'd need a separate primer, possibly solvent based.

Old 05-17-11, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
Since the paint is already on the walls your options are limited. As Marksr mentioned, give it several more days to dry. Depending on how bad the walls were you may find that the grease and nicotine slowly soak through the paint. It's not as big a deal with darker colors but it can really show with lighter colors and especially white.

If you are not happy with the walls I would re-paint with a stain blocking primer such as Kilz which can be bought at most home improvement and paint stores. The oil based works best but water based works well enough if the walls were not too heavily soiled. After the primer has thoroughly dried then you can top coat with your paint of choice.

Old 05-17-11, 06:37 AM
ok thanks ,we will see what its like in a couple of days . Roz

Old 05-17-11, 09:42 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Roz:

You said you put on TWO coats of that Velspar paint.

Did you notice if the first coat behaved the same way, or did the first coat dry normally?

What colour is the paint? And, do you notice the tackiness and stickiness most on the inside surface of EXTERIOR walls, or are the interior walls equally tacky and sticky?

I think everyone has assumed that this was a latex paint... please confirm.

If it wuz me, I'd take a hair dryer to that paint and save yourself a few days wait. If it's a highly pigmented colour, like Canary yellow, fire engine red, Hunter Green or Navy Blue, it could just be that the glycerine added when tinting the paint still hasn't evaporated. That'd be my first suspicion if the colder exterior walls were tackier and stickier than the interior walls.

If the paint does seem to dry, then stick a piece of masking tape to that paint, and then quickly pull off the masking tape. Does all the paint come off with the tape? If so, then it's best to remove that paint (with lotsa masking tape). Painting over it again with any kinda primer or paint is only gonna leave that weak link in the chain.

But, let's see what the paint does.

Last edited by Nestor; 05-17-11 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 07:11 AM
ok well the paint is orange and yes 2 coats and it is a little dryer today not much , dh did take a hair dryer to it but nothing . I have 2 fans on it now . We are going to wait another day then probably go with the primer mentioned . good thing its a small room. yes its Laytex

there is no exterior wall that was painted

Last edited by razzle51; 05-18-11 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add
Old 05-18-11, 08:11 AM
also I did what you said a took some tape to it and it did pull the paint off. another question is there something I can paint ontop of this to make it dry and smooth instead of priming and painting again. thanks

Old 05-18-11, 12:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If it doesn't dry on it's own, it would be difficult to get by without priming and repainting. I wouldn't trust the tape test just yet - it can take latex paints up to a week or so to cure. If the paint isn't bonded well with the previous finish, it would be best to aggressively sand it - then prime and paint.

Old 05-18-11, 01:41 PM
Ok thank you , I will give it a couple of more days

Old 05-18-11, 03:19 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Qui

Originally Posted by razzle51 View Post
also I did what you said a took some tape to it and it did pull the paint off.
OK, the new paint is orange in colour.

Please confirm... when you pulled off the masking tape, did ALL of the orange paint come off, or most of it, or half of it, or just some of it. And, did any of the previous paint come off as well?

Take a look on the gallon can of paint if you have it and see if it says it's a "deep" or "accent" tint base anywhere on it. Alternatively, phone the place where you bought the paint (with can in hand) and ask them whether they used a red or yellow tint base, or if they just added lots of colourant to a "deep" or "accent" tint base. Cans of "Deep" or "Accent" tint base won't be as full of paint as white or pastel tint bases. They leave lots of room in the can for a large amount of tinting colourant to get the paint to the desired colour. For example, the only way you can make a blue paint is by taking a paint that would otherwise dry clear, and adding lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of blue colourant to it in the tinting machine.

The reason why this is important is that the colourant liquids that are used to tint house paints consist of gajillions of tiny coloured solid particles suspended in glycerine. Glycerine is used as the carrier fluid because it's equally soluble in both water and mineral spirits. So, the same tinting colourants can be used to tint both latex and oil based paints, and so the hardware store can tint all the paint it sells with the same colourants in the same tinting machine.

But, glycerine evaporates very much slower than water. So, there remains the (increasingly remote) possibility that the stickiness is just because the glycerine added when tinting the paint to it's orange colour hasn't evaporated yet.

another question is there something I can paint ontop of this to make it dry and smooth instead of priming and painting again
The problem here is this: Whatever is preventing the paint from drying normally will most likely also prevent it from adhering properly as well. You can't improve the adhesion of the orange paint to whatever's under it by putting something over it.

I'd still wait a few days to see what the paint does, but I'm concerned that the root of the problem here is that the orange paint isn't sticking to a film of cooking oil that was on the walls. Nicotine is at least soluble in water, so there's a better chance the paint would have stuck and dried properly if there was only cigarette smoke on the walls. I'm thinking the problem here may be that the glycerine and coalescing solvent in the orange paint mixed with a film of cooking oil on the wall to form a mixture of hydrocarbons that isn't going to dry to a paint film.

Let's wait to see what the paint does, but if it's still sticky in a few days, then my best advice would be to remove that paint film rather than put anything over it.

Last edited by Nestor; 05-18-11 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-19-11, 02:06 AM
Only a little of the paint came off and no the other color underneah did not come off.

also I looked at the can and there is no words ""deep" or "accent" tint base " written anywhere . we will give it the rest of the week to dry. when pulling off the blue painter tape only a few places pulled the paint off. thanks again for your help . Roz

Old 05-19-11, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On the front of the paint can near the bottom it should say what base the paint is. Light colors will normally just say 'white' pastels and darker may say 'tint base 1' or 'tint base 2' some brands will say 'deep tint base'

The 2 biggest issues with putting in more tint than the paint was made for is the color doesn't stay mixed as well and the extra colorant slows down the drying time as Nestor stated.

Old 05-21-11, 05:55 AM
well its been a few days and one wall is smooth and one wall is still tacky and sticky , I will give it a few more days

Old 05-21-11, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The still tacky wall probably had more contaminants on it

I suspect this coat of paint might not be bonded as well to the underlying paint as well as it should be, hopefully it will be ok..... it wouldn't be much fun to strip/sand it down and start over

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: