Killz Sealer put on floor that had dog urine soaked in

Old 05-31-11, 08:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Killz Sealer put on floor that had dog urine soaked in

Hello,

I have a rental home in Delaware where the tenants of 6 months lived and have ruined the floors with their pets urinating all over the house. I am in Washington State so I haven't been there to see it or smell it for myself, however my family has been helping with the contractors and realtor to get the house fixed.

As for the floor clean up - the carpets were removed and trashed, we used the wet vac a few times with Natures Miracle on the plywood floors on first floor and cement floors in basement just to try to get up and eliminate as much of the stains as possible. Now we have placed two layers of Killz Primer (actually I think it's Sherwin Williams version of Killz). I am told now the smell is gone. After we paint, new carpet goes down.

My dad is making me paranoid though, saying we should wait a week or two to re-check the smell before the carpet goes in.. So my question is, if the smell is gone now with the Killz application- what is liklihood of the smell returning? And when would the smell return? Days, weeks, months, years..?? I need to get this house rented asap, I don't have time to wait around for two weeks to sniff around.. I also don't want to lay carpet and then the smell returns in all it's fury. I am told by several painters, ServPro, and carpet guys that it's the worst smelling house they ever set foot in, the poor carpet guy couldn't get the smell out of his van.. But now, after 2 layers of Killz, the smell is gone- but will it come back??

Thanks for the advice

Old 05-31-11, 10:22 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Life's Peachy:

Not sure if this is a good enough answer, but:

When there's a fire in a house, the restoration company will typically paint over the walls with KILZ to seal the "burnt" smell in the paint and prevent it from continuing to smell up the house. So, if it lasts on walls, then as long as you cover the KILZ to prevent it from wearing off, it should also last on a floor.

Old 06-01-11, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Which SWP primer did you use? If it's oil base you should be ok although a pigmented shellac is the ultimate stain/odor sealer. I would not trust a latex primer to adequately seal the odor. it shouldn't be necessary to paint over the primer since it is being covered.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-01-11, 07:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Mark is spot-on: If you used the right primer, you're done and can put down the carpet - I never use latex sealing primers, only oil based (haven't had to use a shellac based yet)

Old 06-01-11, 04:43 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Life's Peachy:

Probably the most commonly used white pigmented shellac primer is a product called "BIN" primer made by the Zinsser Company and available at Home Depot.

Old 06-01-11, 07:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! It was a pigmented shellac. Feeling better today about the whole situation.
Thanks again

Old 06-02-11, 08:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You're all set, put the carpet down

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: