Painting powdercoated metal.

Old 06-15-11, 01:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting powdercoated metal.

Have a powdercoated metal gate which requires hinges and latch welding and also has the old powdercoating fading and with a talc like surface. Re-powdercoating requires sandblasting off the old and even then, local providers are too busy for this "little" job.
Is there a method or process to allow the whole gate to be re-painted or re-coated with some degree of longevity? The old surface, whilst unattractive, seems well adhered.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-11, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
I had to repaint my 8' gate that had a powder coat finish. Sand the gate with 120-150 grit and then wipe it down with liquid deglosser - make sure you fold or change the rag often so you remove and not just move around any dust and paint residue. If there is any raw metal - use a solvent based primer, otherwise just apply a coat or two of an exterior oil base enamel. Something like rustoleum should work fine, I used an industrial enamel about 1 yr ago and it still looks great.

Old 06-15-11, 06:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark. It's that preparation I needed to know about. Will give it a go. Big job but battle on.