Paint off-gassing? Drywall off-gassing? Something else???

Old 06-18-11, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint off-gassing? Drywall off-gassing? Something else???

There is a strange smell in two of my bedrooms and I am trying to determine what it is. Here’s the background:

My house is 12 years old. Two of my bedrooms were connected via a 4’ x 7’ opening in a common interior wall. I hired a contractor in January to frame in the opening and install drywall to fill-in the opening. In late March I repainted both rooms with Lowe’s Valspar Low VOC paint (different colors in each room). I put a coat of primer on the newly installed sections of drywall before painting the walls. I also repainted the ceiling in one of the bedrooms with Valspar ceiling paint (I don’t think this was low VOC). About a month later, I repainted the ceiling in the second bedroom.

Recently, I have begun to notice a sweet type of smell in both rooms. I first noticed this smell in the second bedroom after painting the ceiling, but it mostly dissipated after a few days. More recently, the smell seems to be stronger in the first bedroom, which I painted almost 3 months ago.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this smell? It seems strange for paint-related smells to get stronger several months after painting.

I have painted several other rooms in my house over the last few years using similar Valspar paint and have never had a problem. That’s why I wonder if the new drywall could be causing this. I don’t smell a rotten egg type of smell that has been described with some of the drywall problems in Florida a few years ago.

Any suggestions to figure out what this is? One of the bedrooms will become a nursery in about a month, and I am concerned about potential toxins in the air.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-11, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums Larry!

It is strange that any paint odor would get stronger over time
Have you tried opening the windows and setting up a fan to see what happens? Fresh air ventilation is always the best remedy for paint odors. I would think that the primer and paint would adequately seal any odor from the drywall although I have no personal knowledge of the chinese drywall that was a problem a few years back.

Is there anything else that could be causing the sweet odor?

Old 06-19-11, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I'm with Marksr. I'd be very suspect of this odor coming from the paint after this length of time. All of the paint should have cured long ago.

Old 06-19-11, 05:31 AM
I would be surprised if it was the paint. After about 30 days it has fully cured and is no longer off-gassing. Has it started to get hotter where you live? you ma have something else that is going funky.

Old 06-20-11, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
The only way I can see this being the paint is if you had a lot of ventilation in the rooms at first but don't now, which is allowing the odor to build up over time. That said, paint shouldn't smell by now.