Primer on solid core wood doors

Old 06-25-11, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Primer on solid core wood doors

I know that ideally you would use primer before painting solid core wood doors. However, my question is, if you forget that step and just throw a coat of paint on, is there any harm to the door? I'm sure it will take more coats than if there was primer, but I wasn't sure if it would potentially allow for the door to be damaged.

Also, if we just wanted to be safe, is there any harm with going over the coat of paint with a primer?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
No expert...but if you didn't prime..there's probably no reason to do it now. Primer seals, promotes adhesion, and allows less topcoats.

Interior or exterior doors? Wood or fiberboard with a solid core?

Old 06-25-11, 11:06 AM
Sorry for the lack of info. Interior pine door with solid core. The doors which have been painted without primer are just closet doors, but one of them is a closet door in a bathroom if that makes a difference. Also, only one side has been painted without primer.

Old 06-25-11, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry...still need to ask...just because...lol.

Are they solid pine paneled doors? Or flat veneer doors with a solid core. There's a difference. Solid wood doors are never referred to as "solid core"...since they don't really have a core as such.

Sorry to seem like a stickler, guess thats what happens when you sold doors and windows for a living...lol.

Old 06-25-11, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I'll assume these are 6 panel solid wood doors [or similar]

Primer plays an important role and shouldn't be skipped..... but you really can't back up
Are you using oil base or latex enamel?

I'd aggressively sand the wood with 100 grit and see how it looks. If you have a lot of bare wood or can basically see thru the 1st coat of enamel - I'd prime them, otherwise just continue with your enamel. Primer isn't all that effective over the paint.

I don't think the lack of primer will do any actual damage to the wood but there is a slight possibility that the door in the bath rm could experience paint failure at a later date.

Old 06-25-11, 02:39 PM
The doors are the 6-panel pine