painting pressboard bookshelf

Old 01-02-01, 04:34 PM
TraceeD
Visiting Guest
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. I have a pressedboard bookcase that I'd like to paint. What are the tricks and the proper paint to use?
Thank you so much.

Old 01-04-01, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
TraceeD
Is this bookcase bare or is it covered with something(simulated wood grain, etc)? What condition is it in, good, beat up?

Old 01-05-01, 09:01 AM
TraceeD
Visiting Guest
pressboard bookshelf

Hi Chip - hmm, I don't know how to describe it but it's the way it came from the store with a smoothish covering on the shelves and backing and sides. You can see the raw pressboard on the front edges of the shelving. I really don't know how better to describe it, sorry.

Old 01-05-01, 05:44 PM
Visiting Guest
OK, the reason I asked is because some carpenters will install bookcases with pressed board and leave them raw for the painters. I usually wouldn't recomend painting a simulated finish on pressed board but if you want to give it a shot be sure it is thoroughly cleaned and free from grease, dirt, etc. lightly sand the surfaces with a 220 grit sandpaper, remove any sanding dust and prime with a quality primer, I am going to suggest Zinsser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3, reason being is that it is a water based quality primer, I am afraid that (sight un-seen) an oil primer may lift the laminated finish. Sand lightly again with the 220 grit and paint with a quality paint from a local pro paint store.

Be sure to remove any movable shelves to paint so if you move them later it won't leave a bare spot where they were.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-07-01, 08:50 PM
TraceeD
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chip

Thank you for your advice - I will give it a shot. I think I'll start with the top of the shelf in case the finish lifts or any other problems. Thanks.

Tracee

Old 01-08-01, 04:39 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
TraceeD, Don't be alarmed if the 123 doesn't bond 100% the first day or so. These 100% acrylic primers can sometimes take up to seven days to reach a full cure on a difficult surface meaning it may scratch off if not careful....Mike

Old 01-08-01, 04:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Mike is right, I am just afraid that solvents in an oil primer may bubble the laminate, since some of these laminates are only paper thin, if you want a premium bond oil based primer/undercoater is the way to go just be sure to test an area like you stated. Zinsser's 1-2-3 is a quality water based primer as well as Kilz Total One, they have great bonding qualities (with proper cure time) but from my tests do not seal out stains well at all (as they claim) I don't know about other water based primers that would work in this situation so the 2 above is all I can recomend.

Good call Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: