Airless Exterior Paint Spraying Question Re: Magnum XR5

Old 06-28-11, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Airless Exterior Paint Spraying Question Re: Magnum XR5

Hello,

I'm not sure if this question can be answered here or not, but thought I would give it a shot.

I'm attempting to paint the eaves of my home with a Magnum XR5 Airless sprayer.
I'm spraying 100% Acrylic. The paint recommends using a .017 tip. The manual of my paint sprayer says the maximum it supports is a .015. This means that the .015s
orfice is 5mm smaller. Has anyone painted 100% acrylic with this tip size? My thought is to just thin the paint to the maximum aloud. That was my plan.

I masked all around the house yesterday and go figure, now the news here in Southbay California calls for rain today... (Can never win!) haha Well I plan to wait till tomorrow just to be safe.

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-11, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
The 015 tip should spray the paint ok, if not you may have to thin it just a little. I wouldn't thin the paint any more than you need to. I don't recall ever having used that particular airless but I've sprayed unthinned exterior latex thru my Titan 660 with an 015 tip with no problem. If the pump is strong enough, it will spray your paint thru an 013. IMO the 017 tip is better suited for siding or walls, not soffits.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 06-28-11, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your prompt response (Marksr).
I now feel better about proceeding.
I'll try it as you suggest with no thinning and if it doesn't atomize properly I will add a bit at a time.
I've only used an airless sprayer once before applying redwood stain to my fence. I'll tell you, it sure was a time saver.
You would kick yourself in the head for ever using a brush. It's one of the bottom level sprayers, but it sure worked great for the stain.

Oh, and one more question if you don't mind...
Would it be advised to backroll after spraying eaves?
That was the only other thing I was unsure about.
I will be painting my fascia board trim with brush and roller since I have no help.
I thought it would be more work masking than just brushing and rolling.

Thanks again for your help...
Great forum!

Last edited by marksr; 06-29-11 at 04:24 AM. Reason: removed unneeded quote
Old 06-29-11, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Backrolling is always a good idea as it helps to work the paint into the wood instead of just laying on top. I've never masked off a fascia board but use a shield instead...... but they can get heavy fairly quick - not from the weight of the shield but from holding it up over your head with 1 hand while you pull the trigger with the other. If you use a shield - be sure to clean it often so you don't transfer paint from it to where it doesn't belong

When you used your airless previously, did you clean the filters? Besides the screen at the pickup, there is a manifold filter connected to the pump and another filter in the handle of the gun....... assuming your airless is the same as most of the ones I've used. It's never any fun to have an airless quit working correctly in the middle of a job

Old 06-29-11, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your tips...
I have used a shield before as well as the invaluable painters tool "Cardboard."
That is a great idea though. I might as well spray the fascia at the same time as the eaves. Well at least in the areas that don't need scraping and repair work. Those areas I will go back and hit with brush and roller. The front of my house gets hit with all the sun. The fascia paint on that side is chalking and peeling. I had planned to deal with that on a separate basis. I used one of those 3M maskers and masked the stucco below the fascia all around the house on Monday. Man, what a great tool that is. It was the first time I used one and it sure saved time. Especially when you are standing 25 feet in the air on your ladder in heavy wind.

I planned to paint on Tuesday and then we receive this unexpected rain coming in from the California Northbay... My luck... It rained as they said it would. I was hoping to paint today, but still ugly clouds floating around (Murphy's Law). I hope to do it tomorrow as they say it will just be a few scattered clouds. I wanted to finish the spraying at least on Thursday since Friday calls for temperatures in the 90's. Sometimes painting can definitely be a challenge.

Thanks for pointing out the cleaning tip. Yes, I have always valued my tools and after getting my sprayer I carefully read all the cleaning and maintainance advice in the manual. Everytime I spray I clean the heck out of it. I agree that it would suck to be in the middle of a job and have your sprayer clog up on you due to poor maintainance. Two things I have always learned... Always take pride in your tools, and never loan them to anyone.

Thanks again (Marksr)

Old 06-29-11, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to address the chalk before applying any paint. Latex paint won't adhere well to chalky surfaces. Ideally, you wash it all off but that isn't always feasible. In those cases you have 2 options; use an oil base primer or add Flood's Emulsa Bond to the 1st coat of latex paint or primer.

Giving the areas subject to wear an extra coat of paint should make the paint job last longer. I also have one of those hand maskers. I don't use it often but when I need it - it can't be beat. I hope your tape has survived the storm ok and doesn't come loose on you while you are painting.

Old 06-29-11, 02:08 PM
My plan was to scrape off loose and chipping paint and apply the Zinsser 123 primer throughout the entire fascia board section. I try to avoid the oil when I can since cleaning is a pain in the
(_|_). I had planed on 1 coat, but your suggestion sounds like a wise one. I will add 2 coats as longevity is an important factor for me.

My wooded garage door had taken more of a beating and was more prone to peeling so I coated it with the Zinsser Oil based primer on that one.
I did only give it one coat as the Kelly Moore paint seemed to cover very well. When I have my sprayer out though, I might zap it with one more.

I used the 14 day blue painters tape for the masking paper and fortunately it is hanging in there and has not blown loose.
I sure don't need any more problems on my hands

Thanks again for your advice..
Every bit helps.