New floor going in, but need opinions on doors/trim (pictures!)

Old 07-02-11, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New floor going in, but need opinions on doors/trim (pictures!)

Hi Folks,

I purchased my Grandparents' house a few years back; carpet throughout, kitchen included. Last year I renovated the living room and installed laminate wood floor, hickory in grain/color. White trim. (see first picture below)

I'm now extending this flooring out into the kitchen and dining room. However, this time around, I have doors to deal with. I would like to maintain the white trim here as well - the honey-oak trim does not jive with the flooring.

These are only hollow-core doors - however they are panel-less. I'm afraid white would look too stark on these doors... opinions? Would I be better off just buying new 6-panel door slabs?

Thanks!
Jamie

The existing doors:

The flooring:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-11, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I think the wood stained doors will look fine with the new flooring.

If you do decide to paint the existing doors you need to sand and then apply a solvent based primer. That will insure adhesion to the varnish/poly. Latex is fine for the top coat. 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish is normal. The 6 panel masonite doors look and paint well although I'm not sure it's worth the extra work and added expense.

Old 07-03-11, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. You know it just dawned on me - most all of the stained door / white trim combinations you see have white trim *and* jambs. So, either way I go (white door or not), the jambs and all will be white. Point is I can decide on if I like the door as-is after everything's done. Beautiful!

Isn't it crazy how projects explode in scope?? In that living room, I had *only* intended on putting the flooring down. But the baseboard was concealing the tack strips, and the walls were peach, and I then I wanted matching crown moulding....

This kitchen/dining area, again, started as just replacing the carpet... But now's the best time to paint (trims is off), and I'd like some more ornate trim, .... thankfully I have a budget to keep me restrained, otherwise I'd never be finished.

Thanks again,
Jamie

Old 07-04-11, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with changing trim. The 1970's teardrop is dated. WM 366 or 356 on case would look good.

Old 07-04-11, 03:50 PM
chandler - that trim is actually already installed around a knee-wall, and it would certainly tie in better with the kitchen.

The problem is that the wife (and now I), have sort of fallen in favor of a craftman-style door casing. However it certainly doesn't jive with the kitchen. I suppose that's the bit*h of renovating one room at a time.

What are your thoughts?

Here's a photo of the adjoining kitchen...

Old 07-09-11, 11:17 AM
I personally think solid painted white doors look slightly cheap, but that's a personal preference. Your doors look pretty good as is, but I'd do as you're thinking - leave the doors for now, just paint the jambs and trim then see what you think. It's easy to swap out the doors for paneled ones later (or even paint your current ones if that's your preference.) Then you can donate your doors to a local Habitat for Humanity for the tax benefit.