stain for treated wood fence

Old 07-12-11, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stain for treated wood fence

i built a fence from reclaimed treated lumber--it has "ground contact" and some numbers stamped on the side. The wood has mostly gone grey. My wife would like to stain (or paint) the fence to make it look nicer. My priority is to make this job as easy as possible, not have to do it again for as long as possible, and to make redoing it as easy as possible. i am willing to spend more money for a quality product. i am willing to use solid or transparent--whatever will make it easiest to deal with initially, or long term. 2 questions:
1. what product should i use?
2. Do i have to sand off the stamp or will the product hide it, and if i sand off the stamp will the different color wood show up?
Color wise, if we can'd do a nice transparent brown, we'd go for a dark red and make stain our picnic table and lawn furniture the same color.
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-11, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Solid body stains tend to last the longest and will also, IMO, do the best job covering the PT color in the wood. Sikkens and Cabot tend to get the most recommendation here as far as brands go and there is some relationship between what you spend on the stain and how often you have to recoat.

I would start by cleaning the fence to get rid of the grey. I like to spray the wood wet with the hose, spray on a 50/50 bleach/water mixture, scrub with a stiff brush and then rinse off with the hose. My deck was almost black before I figured out the builder wasn't coming back to stain it for me and it was almost blond by the time I cleaned it twice.

Old 07-12-11, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Ya, I like to see what the wood looks like after cleaning before I decide which type of stain to use. I wouldn't sand off of the ink stamps unless you intend to sand the majority of the fence Generally the stain won't hide the ink markings but often they aren't all that noticeable after staining. Sometimes the ink will bleed thru solid latex stain - if that happens you'd need to spot prime those areas with a solvent based primer.

Paint will last a little longer than stain but requires a primer..... and usually needs more prep when it's time to repaint.

Old 07-12-11, 09:11 PM
Based on a lot of research today, i think i'm going with TWP. Anybody know if the 200 series is higher quality than the 100 series?
thanks

Old 07-13-11, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thompson's WaterSeal doesn't have a great reputation I've only used the original clear and while I thought it was a great product 40 yrs ago, it hasn't changed much and there are a lot of better choices available today.

Old 07-13-11, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Thompson's wouldn't be on my list of choices

Old 07-13-11, 09:24 AM
i wasn't planning to go with thompsons. I said TWP which stands for total wood protection. gets great reviews from pros

Old 07-13-11, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never heard of it but some coatings are only available in select areas. Which pros give great reviews - independent or just someone hand picked by the manufacture? It would be a good idea to talk to someone locally who has used it and see how they liked it.

Old 07-13-11, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, haven't heard of that one