New Paint Peeling Off Wall and Pulling Old Paint, Leaving Plasterboard

Old 07-13-11, 03:18 PM
New Paint Peeling Off Wall and Pulling Old Paint, Leaving Plasterboard

Hi,

I apologize for this longer post, but I thought it would be a good idea to explain my situation in detail, so I could get the best answers and advice.

In the last week I have prepped, primed, and painted an interior linen closet. I prepped by sanding an old semi-glossy paint, probably applied in 1953 or so. Then I washed the entire closet (3 walls) and trim, and rinsed with water, and let dry for a day. I primed the entire closet with Glidden Gripper, then I sanded again, then painted 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Regal Select semi-gloss paint. I sanded between these 2 coats to be assured of great adhesion. The closet came out great, except for one small part of one wall, where the paint started to peel away from the wall, taking the original 1950s coat of paint with it! I don't understand why this is happening in this one place and in no other place. I have been peeling all the loose paint away with my fingernail and with a scraper, and an area about 2x2 feet has peeled away.

I can't figure out why this is happening only in this place. If it's an adhesion problem, then why did the old paint adhere so well to the new primer and topcoats that it bonded with them and peeled off the wall, leaving the original plasterboard? And, what should I do to repair it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-11, 03:24 PM
I forgot to say that I live in the Northeast US, and the past week has brought very hot and humid days. Painting has been unpleasant and I've had to throw a fan on the project to make sure the paint has dried enough. I didn't rush the job; I let each coat dry overnight or for at least 6 hours, checking on dryness before I moved on to the next step.

Old 07-13-11, 04:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like it wasn't dry in that one spot. There was no reason to wash the walls. Put a fan on it, make sure it's dry, scrape & sand everything that's loose or it will happen again.

Old 07-13-11, 06:49 PM
Thanks! I scraped most of it off and will follow your advice on sanding and repainting. It's interesting that you say there was no reason to wash the walls - I followed detailed instructions on the This Old House guide to prepping & painting walls and they said to wash them after sanding. No harm done, anyway, I guess! Thanks again.

Old 07-14-11, 04:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It never hurts to clean a wall or anything you plan to paint..... just be sure any cleaner residue is rinsed off!

I would guess that the wall had some plaster dust on it [or possibly not fully cured] when the original paint was applied. The new coats of primer/paint added to the weight of the coatings and caused the already suspect bond to become looser. Once the loose is removed, you might want to spackle [or use joint compound] to soften the edge of the paint before you prime and repaint that area.

Did you have your old paint tested for lead? There is a good chance that an oil base paint from the 50's would have been lead based

btw - welcome to the forums!