Paint Bedroom Furniture

Old 01-03-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Painting bedroom furniture

I have some old bedroom furniture the sort of flat pack stuff you buy from DIY Stores, (wood covered in that sort of plastic coating) I hope you know what I mean because I don't know what its called. Anyway I want to paint it a different colour or maybe give it a wood effect. I tried emmulsion but after a while it just peels off, the kids had a whale of a time peeling it off. please give me some tips on how NOT to make it look like flat pack furniture. (The cheapest way if possible).

Thank you for your Help

Sardonyx

[Edited by sardonyx on 01-05-01 at 12:31]

Old 01-04-01, 07:50 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't know what emsulsion is but if you could use a good primer. This helps the paint you want to use on the piece stick. As for a wood look, if you go to your home improvement center they have a section with both tools and instructions on how to do just that. Be sure that nothing is lifting, if it is besure to glue it down before you start.

Old 01-06-01, 10:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink GREAT painted furniture

Hi sardonyx,

From one Brit to another...

What you need is 'Paint and Grain'. It costs 12.99 from B&Q and it has all you need for that great wood grain effect.

You MUST varnish the finished result though, or it will chip.

Also make sure that you rub it down first with sandpaper to give a good key, so the paint doesn't lift off again.

It does take a little time, waiting for all the coats to dry.
It took me a weekend to do two bed side tables!!

Hope that helps...

You might want to visit http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk where there is a new FREE on-line clinic to help with any decorating or interior design questions you may have.

(Let me know what you think of the site housedoctor@homerestyle.co.uk )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: