Recommended paint sprayer....?

Old 07-16-11, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommended paint sprayer....?

Got several big projects planned.

These are after work, private jobs. I don't have any plans of doing this sort of thing everyday or often.

However, I still would like to get something industrial, long-lasting, and efficient. I am willing to spend a little money to do this.

I looked at a few different Wagner brand paint sprayer models at the store today and they looked nice, but were also pretty expensive. I've been looking at some sprayers at home, online, and those same sprayers are significantly cheaper online rather than in the store.

What I need to know is what sprayer to get that will fit my needs and be my best bang for the buck.

My first project is:
My grandparent's house, which is quite old, is in dire need of paint. It has wood lap board siding and is hasn't been painted in years. The wood, luckily enough, is in surprisingly good shape, just needs paint....BAD. There is also a carport and separate garage that need paint that are also wood. In other words, it's a pretty frickin' big paint project.

My second project is:
I have a rental house that is about to get new siding as it is way beyond a fresh coat of paint. (Not my fault, by the way. I just bought the place.) The wood is 90% rotten on 90% of the house. This house is also quite old. More than likely I'll have professionally installed pre-primed "smart siding", which I will paint myself.

My third project is:
The same property with the rental house is on four (4) acres of property. It's about half wooden privacy fencing and half hogwire/barbwire/chainlink Frankenstein fence. Half of the wooden privacy fencing is now at the landfill as it is completely rotten and blew down in a wind storm we had a couple months ago. The hogwire/barbwire/chainlink is falling down as well as trees have been allowed (NOT by me) to be grown up in the fence-roll. It looks real BAD, to say the least. lol So, I'd like to replace the entire property with wooden 6' (tall) x 8' (wide) fence panels. However, I DON'T want these panels rottin' out in five to ten years either. I think I'll be staining the fence once it's up. Maybe paint, haven't decided.

Anyhow, this is to give ya'll an idea of a few planned BIG projects I have in mind. This, I believe, 110% justifies me getting a commercial grade sprayer.

So, what do I need for two giant paint projects and one big stain project? Or three giant paint projects as I'm still undecided about the wooden fence finish.

I was looking at the Wagner 9155 and 1920 and the sprayers along those lines. Am I on the right track with those types of sprayers?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I didn't take the time to look at the specs on those sprayers but generally speaking a wagner sprayer is not a commercial duty airless. Commercially you'd be talking Graco, Titan, or Spray Tech. I'm not sure if they have any under $1k

Have you considered renting one? or maybe buying one used? You want an airless that would pump a minimum of .5 gallons per minute. Also there is more to spraying than just pulling the trigger. There is a bit of prep involved to minimize overpsray. Most substrates other than metal need to have the paint backrolled or backbrushed to work the paint into the substrate. Even the stain used on the fence would last longer if it's backrolled after spraying.

I almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 07-17-11, 05:49 AM
Graco makes a line on sprayers labeled for the Alpro buying group. The smallest you would want to look at is the Mustang 4700+ it is basically a 395. Look to spend around $700. Otherwise look to spend over $1000 for a pump that will last you quite a while.

Old 07-17-11, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I see that the Wager I am looking at is .42 GPM. This also is brand new and includes a two year warranty.

I've looked at a few Graco, Titan, and Spray Tech brand sprayers. They do seem to be of a more commercial, industrial quality. And the price reflects that. There are a few of each brand that are $400-$500 and they pump .48 GPM. Seems like that would be close enough, although I'm certainly no expert.

I worked at a soccer complex for over five years (just had my two year anniversary last week of having not worked there) and we had a CO2 paint sprayer for years and after plagues of problems, we stepped up to an airless. I was in Heaven!!! I had no idea of what brand it was or anything like that, 'cause I didn't care, but I knew we got all our stuff from Sherwin Williams. I looked at their website and the sprayer we had was a Graco Turfliner. I remember the soccer club spending $1,000 on it and that was with a discount because it was a display model and because we would be buying the field striping paint from them, and a lot of it. The Turfliner had a removable spray trigger and about a 25' hose. I sprayed all the metal soccer goals at one point with that sprayer. That sucker put out so much fricking paint! I've painted a few vehicles, with great success by the way , and I was used to the feeling of an automotive paint gun. Spraying those soccer goals, I had to squeeze the trigger and wave the gun quite fast across the surface being painted or else the paint would run....bad. lol My first goal looked like total crap!!! I must've put about a whole gallon of paint on one spot. Hahaha If someone were to have been watching me paint from a distance, they'd probably thought I was swatting at bees or somethin' as fast as I had to move my arm while painting. Anyhow, I wonder what the GPM rating on the Turfliner is. I didn't see the specifications anywhere for it. I think I could get a pretty good idea of what kind of GPM I need if I could compare it to the Turfliner's specs.

As far as renting a sprayer, I hadn't thought of that at all. I did a little research and they seem to average about $35/day for a good airless sprayer. I figure both houses will take AT LEAST two days each and the fence will probably take a week as much as there will be. Also, gotta' keep in mind that this is an after work project(s) and weekend warrior type deal. I figure, by the time I rented one for $35/day or so, I could own one for the same price. A $400-$500 one, anyhow...

I also realize the preparation work that'll be involved. That goes back to my automotive paint days. Looooots of masking and covering, etc. Thanks for reminding me! Haha

However, I had not thought about back-rolling. I wasn't sure what it even was and looked it up. Saw a couple videos on YouTube and it looks simple enough. It makes perfect sense, too, to have to "work" the paint into the surface. I also read a few horror stories of paint not holding up correctly because of not being back-rolled. Doing these projects will be for sure my dad and myself. Hopefully my grandpa, uncle, mom, and sister can all pitch in as well. There could be two people painting, one spraying, one keeping the paint bucket full and watching for missed spots and then everyone else back-rolling, cleaning up, touching up, etc.

Anyhow, this gives me some more to chew on and research.

Thanks so far, ya'll!

Old 07-17-11, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I'm not familiar with the small Graco's - Graco is the number one airless manufacture. One thing I forgot to mention is you want to make sure it's a piston pump. They will outlast and outpreform a diaphragm pump. Another thing to check on is availability of parts. A reversible tip is also a must have.

"That sucker put out so much fricking paint!"

I used to work for an outfit that had several Graco 733's They can put out 3 gpms, couple that with a 5/29 tip and you have to step forward when you pull the trigger just so you can stay in place

Old 07-18-11, 03:11 PM
i am also looking for a sprayer. But for commercia day to day work. What would be a good recomended sprayer i should look into?

Old 07-18-11, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
This have pretty much been covered in the earlier posts in this thread. See above (Or below depending on your page setup)

Old 07-18-11, 07:03 PM
Yeah, thanks for all the help, ya'll. I still haven't made a decision and am nowhere near it, but I feel pretty confident about what I'm looking for now.

By the way, speaking of earlier posts being above or below, how do I go about changing how it displays replies? I HATE that the replies are ascending rather than descending. Makes no sense whatsoever. I've never seen a forum, and I've been on hundreds (I'm a forum junkie!!!), that has ever had this format.

I tried the three 'Display' modes (Linear, Hybrid, and Threaded) in the upper right hand corner of the thread to see if that would change it, but it didn't.

How do I fix it?!

Thanks!!!

Old 07-19-11, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by VuDuong4 View Post
i am also looking for a sprayer. But for commercia day to day work. What would be a good recomended sprayer i should look into?
Welcome to the forums!

A lot depends on what type of material you intend to spray. Talk to your paint rep at the store, he should be able to help you make an informed decision. You could also discuss this with other painters that frequent the store you use. Many commercial airless pumps can be gotten with either an electric or gas motor.

ITSANSS, I don't know how you change the viewing of the forums I've been on a few other forums and thought this one works best..... but most of what I know about computers and the internet - I learned here

Old 07-24-11, 04:42 PM
I've got it more or less narrowed down to these three sprayers based on specifications, reviews, and price.

Which one would ya'll buy out of these three?

1. Graco Magnum SR7

2. Titan XT330

3. Wagner 9195

Thanks!

Old 07-25-11, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either the Graco or Titan should be fine. The Titan has a slightly larger output. I wouldn't trust a Wagner.

Old 07-26-11, 05:03 AM
I really appreciate all the help!

I figured it was mostly between the Graco and the Titan. Mostly because, like ya'll said, it's more of a commercial grade sprayer, plus because Sherwin Williams carries parts and accessories for both Graco and Titan sprayers. If somethin' were to happen with that Wagner, I'd probably be ordering parts online and be down for no telling how long.

I know there's a lot left to be desired with either of these sprayers, but I think for what I'm after and my preferred price range this'll work out just fine.

Old 07-26-11, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than filters and such, I always had to have SWP order repair parts for my Titan 660's although the parts usually came in a few days..... but I live near a small town, it might be different in a big city