Kitchen Cabinets repaint

Old 07-17-11, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Cabinets repaint

So my wife bugs me to refresh our kitchen. I would like to opt for a quick and cheap method. Our current kitchen has these cabinets:

We would like them to be like these, or cherry color:

Is it possible just to paint them over, or I would have to peel off the lacquer and paint it over. Is there a darker shade of lacquer that we could put over the existing layer? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i have put polystain over finished wood. and it works well. except it is not as durable as polystain on raw wood. nor does it look quite as good, but that very well may have been my application method and skill. if that were mine, i would do a test piece and see how i liked it.

Old 07-17-11, 01:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Ideally you would strip the cabinets, restain and then apply 3 coats of poly. Polyshades is a good way of making an existing finish darker but it can be difficult to apply. Because it is a tinted poly any lap marks, drips, puddles, etc will be darker, missed spots wouldn't get any color. It is not a product that responds well to over brushing or touch up. Tinted poly must be applied evenly!

Before using polyshades, test a small hidden area to make sure it's compatible with the existing finish. After you are done applying polyshades a coat of clear [untinted] poly should be applied to protect the color. Any areas where the tint wears off will be lighter in color.

If you wish to paint the cabinets, clean and sand them lightly, apply 1 coat of a solvent based primer and then finish with a couple of coats of your choice of enamel.