How to Prep Metal Kitchen Cabinets for Paint

Old 07-21-11, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Prep Metal Kitchen Cabinets for Paint

I have a cool set of vintage metal kitchen cabinets from the 40's I would like to repaint. However, I'm not sure if I should strip the cabinets with paint stripper or simply sand all surfaces, prime, then paint? I plan to use Interlux Brightsides marine top paint on the cabinets (read about it online), rather than Rustoleum.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to prep?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-11, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It really depends on what shape the current finish is in. If the current coating is in decent shape, a light sanding may be good enough.

I'm not familiar with Interlux Brightsides, I assume it's a solvent based enamel ??

Old 07-23-11, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, interlux brightside is a marine top-side paint for boats that you can either spray or use a foam roller. I've seen demos on youtube about it.

As for the cabinets themselves, they are in good shape, but have chips of paint missing around the doors/handles in some places. I also need to know a good type of degreaser to use, since I'll need to clean them inside and out.

Old 07-23-11, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I would think most any degreaser would work ok if you throw in enough elbow grease Just be sure to rinse off the cleaner well. TSP would also work although I've only used it on the exterior and rinsed with a water hose.

The chips will need either be sanded out [over a wide enough area so the depression doesn't show] You might also consider a filler like the auto body spot putty. I assume you intend to remove the handles, maybe hinges too.