Newbie question on priming surfaces for painting.

Old 07-27-11, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie question on priming surfaces for painting.

Hi guys,

I'm finishing my garage and I've gotten fantastic help here before. I've moved on from the electrical questions and drywall questions. I'm getting ready to paint. I've read all kinds info on painting and haven't found a good answer for my question.

I want to prime my ceiling, walls, interior garage door, electrical conduit, breaker panel cover, etc. I plan on painting everything on the walls a light gray, and the ceiling white. I have an accent color for the door. (Thank you mistints @ Home Depot).

I know there is a preferred order to which surface and how you paint them. Does this matter when priming? Do I need cut in, keep a wet edge, etc, etc. I don't want to waste time being careful if it really isn't necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I often cut in after rolling the primer, it doesn't hurt anything and is usually quicker. No need to worry about keeping a wet edge, save that for the top coat. Roll the ceiling first and then the walls.

Old 07-27-11, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Top down - paint the walls and then the ceiling and your spatter would end up on the walls

Old 07-27-11, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Mark and Mitch! Mitch, I had to read your response a couple times until I understood what you were saying. Initially, I thought you were saying getting the splatter on the walls was a good thing. lol

I should probably start a new thread but have either of you guys used a Werner power roller? The reviews on Amazon are good. I'm not sure if it is better than rolling the old fashioned way though.

Old 07-28-11, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Personally I believe I can roll faster using a 5 gallon bucket [with a roller screen] and a quality roller than using a power roller. Another thing to consider is the added time to clean up the roller and line. However there are diyers that really like them. Werner makes great ladders but I wasn't aware of them having any type of roller equipment. I'd shy away from a Wagner power roller or airless.

Old 07-28-11, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Never used one so I can't comment other than to say I've never felt the need to consider one, I've always been fine with a regular roller.