Spray or Brush Exterior House on Re-Paint

Old 07-27-11, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray or Brush Exterior House on Re-Paint

I have been reading a lot on repainting our home built in 2001. One contractor says he only recommends brush painting. The other quotes only are spray painting.

Any pages / URLs / recommendations / information on which one is better will be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Spraying is fine providing it is back rolled or back brushed. Spraying alone just lays the paint on top of the substrate, brushing will work the paint/primer into the substrate.

Old 07-28-11, 06:35 AM
Thank you very much! I found the legal zone on here and asked my other question. We have two more today, although I think I might have scared the contractor by asking him to send me information via email (i.e. are the people working sub-contractors / employees, insurance, how long you have been in business, references (a couple from one to two years ago & a couple from this year).

Old 07-28-11, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I would want my house brushed, whether they spayed the paint on before brushing it on or applied it with the brush would be up to them.

Old 07-28-11, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
One question...what is the exterior?

Out here in stucco land...many houses are sprayed only (just the walls I mean). I've seen it sprayed and rolled...but according to the guy who was doing a house across the street it depends on the texture of the stucco. A softer exterior finish allows rolling...but the really coarse stuff (more like mine...you don't want to stumble against it even a little) can be better off being sprayed as long as you ensure good coverage.

Just sayin...that's what I was told...and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Old 07-28-11, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I've not painted in Arizona but I have painted some rough stucco and used a roller, 1.5" nap. Basically you flood the stucco with paint, let it start to set up and reroll it with an almost dry roller to knock out the runs and dress it up. With the exception of metal, it's always best to back brush or back roll. For the most part to get good coverage by spraying paint on rough stucco you'd have to spray it at multiple angles...... and you'd still need to use a brush or roller to knock out the runs.