Replacing light fixtures - Need to paint ceiling around it

Old 08-03-11, 09:13 PM
Replacing light fixtures - Need to paint ceiling around it

My friend had her baby's room sprayed by a pro. For some reason (maybe a miscommunication on her part) he didn't take down the huge hexagonal-shaped fixture and paint up to the electrical box. Instead he taped it, then traced the edge with a utility knife before removing the tape.

So I've removed the fixture as it is to be replaced (with a much smaller one). I'm left with a white hexagon surrounded by the new light pastel green paint. And the hexagon is etched into the surface of the drywall.

The ceiling has a knockdown texture.

What's the best way to approach this so that I don't end up with a hexagon outline around the new light fixture??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-11, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did he score the texture with the utility knife?

Probably the simplest fix would be to take a little spackling or joint compound on your finger and rub just enough on to hide the cut or the edge of the paint if there is a pronounced difference.

It's rarely in the painter's job description to take down lights. If needed/wanted, this should be discussed during the bidding process. Personally I'll rarely do any spraying in an occupied dwelling. The time spent preparing and cleaning up for spray almost always eats up any time saved....... and over spray can really travel a long ways

Old 08-04-11, 08:40 AM
Yes, the texture is scored. I'll try the spackling, thanks!