CEILING/ RE-DO

Old 01-05-01, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Can I roll on a textured ceiling rather than have it blown on? I also have some stains from roof leaking on the ceiling. The roof leak is repaired. This ceiling has a blown texture on it. I will probably scrape off the old stuff, put KILZ on the stains but I want to know if I can use a roller to re-texture the surface before painting it? Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

Old 01-05-01, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Be careful about removing it. Depending on when it was first put on it could have asbestos on it. When we re-did our house we had that problem. I did remove some myself in a closet. The main thing to do when you remove it is to keep it wet. You don't want to breath anything in. Place plastic over the floor to catch what you scrape off. Do use a face mask.
As for texture, you do not need to blow on texture. There are products at your paint store that add texture, much better than cottage cheese ceilings. They have brouchures that tell you step by step how to do it. Basically all you need is a large putty knife, the product for texture and paint.

Old 01-06-01, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Any of the stains will need to be primed with Kilz or simular or they will bleed through texture and all (more times than not) As far as the roll on texture goes, there are many many types of texture and as Gini stated a lot are roll-on, but the popcorn type ceiling texture must be blown. There are products out there that claim to be roll-on popcorn texture (acoustic) but do not work very well from what I have seen of them, maybe with 3 or 4 applications.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: