Durable topcoat over painted coffee table

Old 08-12-11, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Durable topcoat over painted coffee table

I built a pine coffee table and painted the top black with an oil-based satin black paint. After putting the table into use, I am noticing marks in the paint where people have used it to write on. These marks are not indentations in the wood, but closer to scratches/scuffs in the paint.

I plant to scuff/sand it and add another coat of black paint, then put a clear top-coat of some kind to prevent further marks. I don't want a glossy "varnished" look to it. What kind of top-coat/finish would be good to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Generally I'm not fond of apply poly over paint but when you have a dark paint that doesn't have a hard enough film to prevent burnishing.... a satin oil base poly should take care of your issues.

Old 08-12-11, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Pine is pretty soft, I don't know if any finish is going to accomplish what you want. That said, I agree with Mark in applying a satin oil based poly.

Old 08-22-11, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, satin sheen oil polyurethane is what you want. The sheen of the paint doesn't matter - it can be flat. The only sheen that will show is the sheen of the clear cover coat.