High gloss patch work not blending

Old 08-16-11, 06:10 PM
High gloss patch work not blending

So when I moved into my house 2 years ago the previous owners had painted a small bathroom with Behr Ultimate Brilliant White paint. It's a high gloss finish and when I recently put up a new towel rack (the old one was glued to the drywall) and patched the drywall, sanded primed and painted but with multiple coats I still have a matte finish.

I am using the same paint as the previous owners since they were nice enough to leave me a couple cans of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-11, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the paint in the can mix up well? are you sure you are using the correct paint? Occasionally someone will put the paint back into the wrong can.

That said, glossy paints can be difficult to touch up, often you'll need to paint from wall to wall in order for it not to show.

Old 08-17-11, 05:00 AM
did you prime the patch? Many people don't realize the the patch compound will suck the sheen out of a paint if it is not thoroughly sealed. You also may have an issue with a slight difference in wall texture now, so the light is reflecting differently. With a high gloss paint, you may never get the patch to blend in. any imperfection in the wall is amplified with a gloss. Your best bet is to lightly sand the wall and put an eggshell over it.

Old 08-17-11, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
The higher the sheen on the paint, the more imperfections will show. I'm with BC, I'd repaint the whole wall (though I tend to like satin finish over eggshell).

Also, to be honest, the brand of paint you've been left is often complained about here, you may find better results if you repaint by going to a paint store (not a paint department) to find the new paint.

Old 08-17-11, 03:28 PM
Good point. I believe I did seal it effectively. I suppose white paint is white paint, and it's when the light hits it a certain way that it is visible. I agree with you guys about the satin versus high gloss.

That being said I also experienced with a green paint in a hall; not high gloss this time but I can see the roller strokes. That paint was a Ralph Lauren left as well.

Old 08-18-11, 04:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Touch ups are almost always more visible from an angle. The glossier the paint, the more apt it is to show. That's why often it's advisable to repaint an entire wall when dealing with a shiny paint.

About 10 yrs ago I had a customer supply a gallon or two of Ralph Lauren paint for 1 room and I wasn't impressed at all. It was difficult to apply and didn't cover well. That probably played a part in your roller marks. If you reroll the green paint, try to keep to keep plenty of paint on the roller and lightly roll it on the wall. Trying to squeeze all the paint out of the roller cover will almost always cause problems.