High Build Primer for New Drywall?

Old 08-20-11, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High Build Primer for New Drywall?

Hey all,

I am finishing up the drywall work in my new bathroom. It was the first major drywall project I have tackled. I new it wouldn't turn out perfect, but you have to start learning sometime, right? Anyway, it looks decent after some sanding work, but I know once I get some color on the walls the imperfections will come out. What is the best primer to use that will provide a little forgiveness for my lack of drywall experience? I'd like something that will work well for the ceiling and walls all at once, and that can be rolled/brushed on.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-11, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Hi build primers aren't all that effective when rolled, most work best if sprayed and you have to have a fairly stout airless in order to pump the hi build primer. IMO you'd be better off shining a bright light on the walls and fix what you see is wrong. Also when you prime, while the primer is still wet you should be able to notice any areas that need further work - go back and fix them after the primer dries and then spot prime those areas.

Worst case scenario is you have to go back and make repairs after the finish coat - no big deal. I've had to go back and paint repairs on just about every new house I ever painted... after the finish paint had been applied. Also many defects won't be that noticeable after the drapes and pictures are hung and furniture set near the wall.

Old 08-21-11, 07:04 AM
Mark-

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. I do fully intend to go back and make plenty of touch ups after the finish coat. I do not have the correct spray equipment, so I think I will just go with a quality primer that can be rolled on. I am going to SW today to get some advice from them....I've learned not to go to the big box stores when it comes to paint (and it only took painting 98% of my house to figure that out).

Old 08-22-11, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I hate painting, so I would try to do it only once - get the wall as close to perfect as you can before priming; using a bright light at oblique angles can help show the imperfections.

Old 08-22-11, 10:12 AM
If you're going to Sherwin Williams, ask them about their Builders Solution. USG also makes First Coat Primer. Note that primer and sealer are 2 different things, but First Coat Primer claims to address the specific issues that a sealer would solve as well.

SHEETROCK Brand First Coat Primer by USG Corporation

Old 08-22-11, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I've used both the USG 1st coat and SWP's version of a hi build primer. I've sprayed them but have never rolled any of it...... not sure how well it would do with a roller.