Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

Old 09-10-11, 01:22 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

I accepted a job for a friend painting some cabinets. She provided the paint, and I was told it was the same type as the original but in a different shade of black. My mistake was that I didn't look at the cans and made an assumption based on what i was told.

The old paint was oil-based enamel. The new paint is acrylic enamel. I sanded everything lightly with a sanding sponge, cleaned the surface thoroughly, and applied 2 coats of the acrylic. I did not use any primer. Not until cleaning up did I realize my error.

How bad is this? I'm pretty sure at this point I can't fix it b/c she needs everything back together by Monday. I'm just wondering how poorly this paint will perform since I didn't apply it properly.

Old 09-10-11, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
With some luck, it might be ok. It usually takes the better part of week for latex paint to fully bond and cure. Sanding helped although real sandpaper would have scuffed up the existing paint better. I suspect the new paint will be subject to chipping ...... but maybe you'll get lucky

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: