Help, I need paint reviews quickly.....beauti tone by Home Hardware???

Old 09-20-11, 06:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help, I need paint reviews quickly.....beauti tone by Home Hardware???

We've bought a new house ( 3000 sf) and will be starting to paint the entire thing next week....ceilings, walls(some currently have wallpaper that we will paint over, kitchens and bathrooms.

I live in a small town and have limited access to large paint stores.

We have Cloverdale Paint, General Paint and Home Hardware.

Does anybody know anything about beauti tone paint from Home Hardware? I'd like some reviews if you've used it.

Right now we have a pretty good quote from Cloverdale and the girl there seemed to know what she was talking about...but I've read some not so good reviews on their paint. We don't want to have to redo everything and want to get the right product right from the start...any suggestions?

Old 09-20-11, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Mod note: Moved you to the Paint Forum.

Old 09-20-11, 08:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums Brenda!

I've not used any of those paints but generally the closer you get to any company's top line of coatings, the better the paint will preform. The 'bargain' paint usually isn't a bargain. Cheap paints tend not to cover as well or be as washable.

The kitchen and bath should be painted with a latex enamel. I highly recommend using a bath rm enamel for any bath with a shower. It has extra mildewcide and is formulated for the harsher environment of the bath rm. This is especially important if there is no exhaust vent or one that doesn't do an adequate job of removing the moisture.

Enamels will wash better than flats but flats are less likely to show any defects in the drywall. A good compromise is a satin or eggshell enamel [low sheen] If you have kids - use an enamel on the walls!

I wouldn't advise painting over the wallpaper! Often the moisture in the latex paint will cause portions of the wallpaper to loose some of it's adhesion with the wall. Painted wall paper is also harder to remove when that time comes.

If you need to save money on paint - do so on the ceiling paint [but not the bath rm ceiling] as the ceiling isn't likely to see any wear or be cleaned from time to time. The only downside to using cheap paint on the ceiling is it might not cover as well as a better grade of paint.

Since your paint selection is somewhat limited, talk to neighbors, co-workers, people at church, etc. to find out what they have been happy with [or not]

Old 09-24-11, 08:32 AM
B
Thank you for your answer. I have reviewed and reviewed and I "think" that I'd be OK with either home hardware's beauty tone or cloverdale's line.

For now we've purchased the ceiling paint from home hardware but I think that cloverdale has more informed sales people and a better color match system so, since I'm having such a hard time deciding on paint colors I may end up buying all of my wall paint there.

Old 09-24-11, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It helps to have sales persons that have good working knowledge of their products

Old 09-29-11, 04:18 PM
P
go with cloverdale or general . I purchased beautitone primer and paint from central avenue location of home hardware. I purchased the type and amount recommended by them to paint new construction. Also had bought top of the line rollers and brushes. After 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint you can see roller overlaps in the finished job. Went and boughtpaint from General Paints and the it looks great.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-30-11 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Removed bash; not beneficial
Old 10-02-11, 01:06 PM
T
i have used dozens of different interior enamels and i will never use anything but home depot's behr paint and primer in one now that' i've found it. we tried it because it tested best paint with consumer reports. it literally cuts the time of your job in half. it's coverage is even and utterly amazing. it spreads really well and gives professional looking results. just love it.

Old 10-03-11, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't put a lot of stock in CR when it comes to paints. I don't understand how they get their ratings as they often bad mouth coatings that I know work well and give high marks to coatings I've had problems with

IMO primer/paint all in one is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Raw substrates are best done with a separate primer, repaints usually don't need a primer...... but if it works good for you

Old 10-03-11, 09:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Unusual feedback for Behr - it is, in my observation, the most common paint used when someone describes a bad outcome or experience.

Personally, I buy all my paints at a paint store, not a paint department in a larger store.

A colleague of mine just bought a new old house and bought a bunch of Behr all-in-one paint. She came to me after disappointing results. She is now thrilled with the results of Zinsser 123 primer and Benjamin Moore paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: