Restoring weather worn wood patio furniture

Old 09-23-11, 04:35 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restoring weather worn wood patio furniture

My friend asked me to paint some old wood patio chairs. Most of the paint is gone and looks like it will scrape right off and the wood is well worn. The screw heads are rusted as well.

What all would it take to get these looking nice again?

Old 09-24-11, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to wash them down with a bleach/water solution [like you would a deck or siding] Once dry, sand them and then coat them with an oil base primer. If you want to fill the weathered cracks, do that prior to priming. You could then use your choice of exterior paint. If you decide to use a latex it might be a good idea to either counter sink the screws and putty over the holes or double coat the screw heads with the oil base primer.

Old 09-25-11, 08:53 PM
W
What specifically should I use to fill the cracks?

Do I need to do anything special to the rested screw heads other than sand and prime? I will make sure they're all tight for sure.

What type of paint will be the most durable?

Old 09-26-11, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
There are quite a few wood fillers that will do a good job. I've always been partial to Duhram's Rock Hard Putty..... but it dries very hard and defies sanding so you need to be fairly neat with application. Some of the newer fillers might be easier to work with and not so hard to sand.

Counter sinking and using a filler over the screw heads is the best way to keep them from rusting. 2nd best is to coat them with a solvent based primer, latex primers/paints that come in contact with rusty or bare steel will feed the rust

Oil base paint dries to the hardest film so that might make for the longest lasting job. The only catch is often exterior latex paints will endure the weather better. A lot depends on the environment the chairs will be in.

Old 09-26-11, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
I think I would opt for one of the rust conversion products on the screws ahead of painting and/or filling.

Old 09-27-11, 04:07 PM
W
I might try to replace some of the screws if they are easy to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: