will Zinsser primer eliminate need for two coats of paint?

Old 09-28-11, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
will Zinsser primer eliminate need for two coats of paint?

Good morning!

I plan on painting off-white over taupe and thought I'd use Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 as a primer in hopes I won' t have to put on two coats of paint - think that'll work?
I'll be using Sherwin Wms. paint.

Thanks!

Have a happy day!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-11, 06:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It's probable that it will eliminate the need for an extra coat of finish paint although it will be somewhat depend on how well it's applied and which SWP finish paint you intend to use.

Old 09-28-11, 07:28 AM
Just now I looked at the paint chip and it's not SW -- it's Ben Moore but the last time I used BM, it seemed thin and runny, which is why I decided not to use it this time and go back to SW. I'll probably use an egg shell finish - it's for the living room - do you think that would be the best choice?

Thanks.

Old 09-28-11, 08:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I use Ben Moore exclusively and have no problems. That said, I buy the top of the line, I wouldn't use anyone's bottom of the line paint.

Can't guarantee the primer will allow you to get by with one coat of paint but you're on the right track to make that happen.

Old 09-28-11, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Both SWP and BM [along with a host of others] have great paint but they also sell a bargain basement line that isn't fit to use. Basically you don't want anyone's paint that isn't at least their mid grade. The better the line of paint, the better it will cover and usually the easier it will apply.

SWP's ProMar 400 is a cheap contractor grade of paint but the ProMar 200 is decent. Super Paint, Duration and few others are close to SWP's top line. I don't use BM often enough to know their coating line well.

Old 09-28-11, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure what the grade was - I believe it was called "color preview" As I recall, it was costly enough that I didn't think it would be a low grade paint. I suppose I'm like most amateurs when it comes to chosing paint, the main concern being color and finish. And by going with one of the well-knowns, I assume it will be a good paint. I just give the guy the paint chip and tell him that's the color and finish that I want and he mixes it - the grade of the paint is never mentioned! .... we live and learn!

So do you think egg shell is good for the living room or would flat be better? I've got a big window that covers most of one wall and I don't want glare.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-29-11, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For the most part, eggshell or satin enamel doesn't show a sheen unless viewed at an angle. I'm a little partial to satin/eggshell because it cleans up better than flat latex. Very important if you have kids. I repainted 1/2 of my interior walls with flat paint after all the kids moved out..... but I forgot about our grandson

I've not heard of BM's "color preview" but it sounds like a color sample paint. The one that SWP sells is a cheap grade only intended to be used as a tool to see if you like that color on the wall. It isn't formulated for wear or cleaning.

Old 09-29-11, 06:22 AM
Four grandsons here -- I'll go with the eggshell! And I guess I'll just request the premium grade.

Have a happy day!

Micha

Old 09-29-11, 07:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I like a satin finish, though BM calls this finish Pearl.

Eggshell would be perfectly fine for a living room.