Priming textured plaster walls

Old 10-17-11, 08:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming textured plaster walls

Hi All,
We are going to prime and paint our textured plaster walls (1950's plaster already painted). They are bumpy but not like a popcorn finish. What nap roller should be used and any recommendations on primer? We tried Kilz2 latex primer with a 3/8" inch nap roller and the primer went on really lousy. Lots of lines, could not coat evenly and the primer would lift off when attempting to backroll. I'm sure we probably need a larger nap roller but is this the right primer for plaster?

So basically asking for proper roller size and primer suggestions (oil vs. latex).

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by mnjim; 10-17-11 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 06:15 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I never use anything less than 1/2" In your case, I would use 3/4". I wouldn't use oil.

Old 10-19-11, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
I agree! use a bigger nap. Primer is rarely needed when repainting interior walls. A solvent based primer is often needed when there are stains or adhesion problems. Latex primer for drywall/plaster repairs. Otherwise it's ok to apply paint over the existing paint [no primer]

Old 10-19-11, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Yep, the bumpier the wall, the bigger nap required. I'd go 3/4" as well.

Not a fan of the primer you've chosen, I'd use Zinnser 123 if primer was needed or their BIN if you need to block a stain.

Old 10-19-11, 08:32 AM
Yup to what Mitch17 said. Zinnser Bullseye 123 will practically stick to ice cubes. Not that I've tried that..

Do you know whether the paint that's on there now is oil or latex? If oil, then you should definitely be priming.

Old 10-19-11, 08:01 PM
Smile

Thanks for all the tips people. Returned the unopened Kilz2 primer to the box store and went to a regular paint store.

The walls were already painted with semi-gloss latex. We took pictures to them and they set us up with Zinsser Smart Prime latex primer and suggested 1/2" nap rollers since the walls were not heavy texture, otherwise, like has been suggested here, they would have normally recommended 3/4" nap.

Hopefully we're on the right path now.

Thanks!!

Old 10-20-11, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you are. Please post back with your results.

Old 10-21-11, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Sounds like you are. Please post back with your results.
The results were excellent! The Zinsser Smart Prime worked fantastic. Very easy to apply, barely any smell, and covered up the uneven Kilz2 primer as well as the original paint (maroon no less!) in one coat.

The only drawback is the primer is $32 per gallon but considering the job it did we consider it worth it. A cheaper Zinsser product may have worked fine if we had not botched it with the Kilz2 primer first.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice!

Old 10-21-11, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Painting is an area where the rule of getting what you pay for does apply. Glad this worked out for you.