Removing Paint from Brass hardware

Old 10-18-11, 08:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Paint from Brass hardware

Anyone have any suggestions for removing paint (metallic aluminum color) from brass hardware?

I was going to heat up some white vinegar to break up the paint and brush the hardware with a wire brush or 000 steel wool. I would do this outside in a porcelain pot, but I was wondering if there are any other options.

thanks for all suggestions.

Old 10-18-11, 09:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you know what type of paint it is? Products like 'goof off' and 'oops' do a good job of softening up latex paints but they won't touch oil base paints. Lacquer thinner will remove most any paint although once I took over a job where the previous painters got paint all over the hinges. I removed them and soaked them in a bucket of liquid deglosser - it removed all the paint but the brass plating [not sure it was thick enough to be plating] also came off fortunately the customer was so pleased with the rest of my work they didn't care.

Old 10-18-11, 09:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow! thats excellent your great at your job that they over looked that. I believe it is latex so I will try the goof off, I have some of that. The method I was going to use is just down right stinky and toxic. thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: