Painting brick fireplace?

Old 01-08-01, 02:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

My husband and I just bought our first house. The living room has a red brick gas log fireplace. Brick goes from floor to ceiling. Room is dark, mantle is dark, brick is dark. We are going to remodel at some point and want to know if painting the brick is a feasible thing to do? If so, would we need to prime, with what, and what type of paint would be appropriate? Thanks!

Old 01-08-01, 03:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I would recommend a good quality masonry paint. There will be no need to prime, but it might take a couple of coats to cover it.

One idea for the wooden mantel (I'm assuming wood?) is to lime wax it rather than paint it. It keeps the look of wood but reduces the darkness.

Hope that helps...

http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk

Old 01-09-01, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
There are a lot of people that will argue to no end for you NOT to paint the brick, they say "Why turn a virtually maintenance free surface into something that will need re-painting every few years" Some also say it does not help the value of the house.

I say if you don't like the brick and want to paint it, then do it, just remember this is a proccess that is virtually irriversible. You can use HouseDoctor's advise or use a quality masonary primer and paint with a wall paint of choice, I would also suggest first cleaning the brick thoroughly with TSP (trisodium phosphate), caulking any cracks with a PAINTABLE latex caulk, wiping smooth with a wet finger and using a wet rag to remove excess and any mess, then on with the painting.

Hope we helped,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: