How long do I wait before painting new paintable pressure treated wood?

Old 11-01-11, 02:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long do I wait before painting new paintable pressure treated wood?

I have new columns on my front porch. The carpenter told me that they were paintable pressure treated 8"x8" solid posts. How long do I need to wait before I can paint this pressure treated wood? The carpenter told me to wait at least one week. I thought pressure treated wood needed to dry for at least one month. Does the paintable pressure treated wood require less drying time than regular pressure treated wood? Should I wait 'til spring to paint. They are really ugly unpainted.

Thanks,
Judy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-11, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
There are 2 types of PT wood, the regular stuff that's wet and shouldn't be painted/stained until it dries out and the more expensive PT wood that is dried after the PT process. If the wood is the latter type - you can prime and paint now. If the wood is wet - you need to wait. Depending on how much sun/wind the wood gets, it could be paint ready in a month, maybe less or it could take several months.

One option would be to use a latex stain. It shouldn't hinder the drying process too much and can be painted over in the spring..... although it's still best to wait

Old 11-02-11, 05:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I must respectfully disagree with Mark's statement of putting a latex stain on them. Do not use any stain latex or otherwise until the moisture content of the wood has dropped. The best thing to do is barrow a moisture meter. You need it to drop below 10% or so depending on the coating you are putting on. My 2x12s for my wife's garden took 2 months of relatively hot dry weather to drop. They were brand new treated wood that started at about 30%.