Removing painting tape etc.

Old 01-11-01, 01:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

My husband and I just embarked on the task of repainting our first home. We are dealing with plaster walls and shiny, outdated woodwork. We started with the master bedroom which we painted a darker green colour, and were painting over all the woodwork in a daisy white colour. The overall effect is very nice, but there are a couple of things that have had trouble with:

1. There is a colour variation between where I "cut" around the walls around the ceiling and edges and where my husband used the roller. Why? The edges look bluer than the rest of the walls.

2. After doing the walls, we taped everything off to do the trim. After applying 3 coats of the latex semigloss, we started to remove the tape, and found that it was pulling up lots of the fresh trim paint with it, not to mention ripping into strips so small that we had to use tweezers to get it off. What did we do wrong? Is it easier to do it freehand?

Old 01-11-01, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Brushing usually does not cover quit as well as rolling, therefor the cut can show sometimes, I can't look at it so I can't be sure but try cutting it in one more time and thin the paint just a little. Darker colors are harder to get to look right, what you need to do is cut in while the paint on the wall is still wet, even if the person rolling has to slow down a little and wait or help, stopping in a corner to help and never in the middle of the wall.

It sounds as if the paint was too new to tape off, they do make a special blue tape for taping painted surfaces but I freehand all cutting in (exept in special situations)Get a quality sash (angled) brush such as a Purdy, finish the trim first and then roll and cut in the walls, wiping the base trim with a damp rag after rolling each wall, you can always brush the base last also but still wipe it down after rolling the wall.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-01, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Just thought I'd add that whatever kind of tape you use, if you go that route, means that it must be removed after each coat while the paint is still wet. Yes, that's a huge hassle and can be messy, but even the painter's tape described won't keep you from pulling off paint if the paint is allowed to dry. The painter's tape does protect the surface underneath it better than masking tape, though. It doesn't allow as much soak through and it generally won't pull off what you stick it to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: