Exterior Primer with Indoor Paint?

Old 12-26-11, 10:24 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Primer with Indoor Paint?

Can I use an exterior oil based primer under an interior latex paint?

Old 12-26-11, 10:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Why do you think you need a primer in the first place?

Another way, the short answer is maybe but more information about the situation will lead to the best solution for you.

Old 12-26-11, 10:41 AM
L
I'm painting raw wood for a big shelf. I believe it's birch. The primer is some Sherwin Williams A-100 exterior oil primer I had left over from painting the house. The latex I'll probably use on the shelf is interior satin Premium Plus Behr.

I would LOVE not to use a primer at all. Any chance?

Old 12-26-11, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The A-100 oil base will work ok as a primer but it will take a lot longer to dry than a oil base enamel undercoater will. Generally a latex primer will work ok as long as there are no stains or tannins in the wood that could discolor the latex enamel. Is the Behr enamel a wall paint? or an enamel for woodwork? Wall enamels typically don't dry to a hard enough film to prevent heavy items from sticking when set on the shelf. The same can be said about most cheap latex enamels. I have no working experience with that particular enamel.

Old 12-26-11, 10:58 AM
L
The can doesn't specify wall or woodwork, but it has worn well on a couple doors I've painted. I checked at BM and they said they had nothing specifically for shelves/molding, and that for these applications you just choose the high gloss paints that will harden. However, I've gotten bad advice before from this particular BM store regarding floor paint so ... ???

This will be a high visibility shelf between the kitchen and living room, so I do want it to look nice. I'm willing to go get some SW paint if that's necessary.

Old 12-26-11, 11:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Oil base enamel dries the hardest although the new waterborne enamels dry almost as hard and won't yellow like oil base white does. IMO, SWP's ProClassic Waterborne is the best enamel I've ever used... but it is also among the most expensive

The top line latex enamels do a decent job and are only slightly prone to sticking. I would not recommend using a low priced latex enamel. With the exception of flat latex, the sheen has very little to do with how hard the paint dries. Sheen is more of an aesthetic choice than anything else.

Old 12-26-11, 11:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I can't say the paint you have isn't going to work but I know something from SW is going to be a good product.

While I don't use SW just because I have a good store selling Ben Moore nearby, I would only use one of those two brands for any painting I did. That said, keep in mind everyone has a cheap line of paint and I wouldn't use that from anyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: