HELP! Touching Up Ceiling - White Flat Paint

Old 01-10-12, 05:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Touching Up Ceiling - White Flat Paint

Here's my problem.

Moved ceiling light fixture and used mud to fill hole in sheet rock. Now it turns out condo builder kept no records of exact brand and color of white, flat ceiling paint.

1. I think () I have found the original paint in a storage closet.

2. Do I need to prime before touching up?

3. I know - risky business. May have to repaint entire ceiling, but am willing to give this plan a try.

Any and all recommendations very much appreciated.

Old 01-10-12, 08:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If it's that small, I wouldn't bother to prime. Most times, I've used the Benjamin More paint in the blue & white can. to patch. I usually hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-10-12, 09:30 PM
R
Thanks, Pulpo - BUT

It's not all that small, IMO. About 6 x 6 inches, because guy who used the mud overdid it. Should have done it myself, but that is 20 x 20 hindsight vision now.

Have sanded area so it's smooth. I read that one should use a sheetrock primer, first, before touching up. But, it's no longer sheetrock; it's mud.

I'm confused...

Old 01-11-12, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The correct way is to prime and then paint although ceilings aren't as critical as the walls. Is there texture on the ceiling? or are they slick finished?

Without knowing the exact brand/line of paint it might be next to impossible to get a perfect match. Even then there is the chance that the heating system, nicotine, etc may have altered the paint some. I'd go ahead and try the paint you found. It might take 2 coats, if it doesn't look right after the 2nd coat - plan on repainting the ceiling.

Assuming the hole was the size of an electrical box - 6" square isn't over kill.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Mary!

Old 01-11-12, 02:28 PM
R
Thanks, Marksr

Appreciate the concrete advice. Ceiling is not textured, thanks be!~

Will purchase primer for sheetrock and use paint which MAY be the original paint used on ceiling a mere 4 months ago.

Thought I would dilute paint 25% water. And work from center out. Make sense?

Wish me luck! Will let you know the outcome - may be a few days.

Old 01-11-12, 02:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Don't dilute the paint, there's no reason for that and it may hinder your results.

Old 01-11-12, 03:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
All residential paint manufactures state their coatings are to be used without thinning but if thinning must be done - never more than 10%

While I normally try to do things the right way, for such a small repair, instead of buying some primer I'd apply 2 coats of the ceiling paint, maybe thinning the 1st coat slightly..... unless you have another use for the leftover primer

Old 01-11-12, 05:23 PM
R
Got it, guys... AND, thanks!

OK. Will follow your sage advice(s). No use for primer again...I HOPE! Certainly never going to move another ceiling light fixture. Learned my lesson! :NO NO NO: Not to mention the fact that I don't need yet another expense.

Love DIY. That's me. Would rather build a house than cook a meal, for sure.

Next project is built-in bookcases. Getting some help on this one, though.

Will report back on ceiling success, I hope.

Old 06-11-12, 08:20 PM
R
You were right -

Finally getting back to you. Had entire ceiling repainted and it looks great!

You'd think I would have learned to leave well enough alone? Of course not - spackled small hole in ceiling of archway and determined to repaint it myself. Have put a couple of coats of original paint over spackle job prior to repainting entire arch. Re-touched area is SHINY.

What did I do wrong and what do I do to correct before repainting the whole deal. Sand the shiny area?

Thanks, guys.

Old 06-12-12, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it might be a texture difference. If the patch is smoother than the rest of the ceiling it might appear shinier viewed from the right angle. Multiple coats of paint rolled on a slick surface will create a light orange peel texture. The texture can be duplicated by thinning down joint compound to a paint like consistency and 'patting' it over the repair with a sponge.

Depending on how long ago you painted the ceiling, the patch could take longer to dry [multiple coats of paint] and would appear shiny until the paint has fully dried.

Old 06-12-12, 04:23 AM
R
Sounds like the problem, smiley David. I have already painted over the spackled area - should I sand and respackle, watering down the compound this time and following your instructions?

Thank you!

Old 06-12-12, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sanding always helps to promote good adhesion. Depending on how the sides of the repair meet the old, you might not need to remud the repair but just texture it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: