Used this floor paint?

Old 01-11-12, 02:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Used this floor paint?

Hi all, I have some *seriously* stained hardwood floors in my home that I'm priming and painting. Has anyone used the Behr acrylic latex Porch & Patio paint? I'm looking for a very high gloss, smooth finish that will be tough. This Behr paint is gloss finish, but should I polyurethane over the paint for any added protection? I'd like to hear any previous experience with bubbles in the poly, too. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-12, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Latex paint won't adhere well to poly! it also doesn't wear as good as oil base enamel. Bubbles in the poly can be sanded out. Is that the reason you want to paint the floor?

Old 01-11-12, 03:17 PM
J
No, I'm painting because of terrible water/pet stains and finish damage throughout the house. I mean they really look rough right now...some stains are literally blackened and the wood has shrunken in spots. I was just worried that rolling on poly after painting would be a disaster if bubbles formed.

Hopefully the gloss Behr will be a nice thick, shiny finish. I'll give it a try and forget the poly.

Old 01-11-12, 06:25 PM
L
I sprung for the expensive stuff thinking it would last longer. Got Benjamin Moore latex floor paint and it has not worn well at all. There were big scuffs out of it within a couple weeks of walking on it even tho I let it cure 2 weeks. I'm thinking about painting it again and putting poly over it. Didn't know there was an issue with bubbles tho.

Old 01-11-12, 06:44 PM
J
Was it gloss finish? That makes me want to consider oil based now.

Old 01-12-12, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Scuff marks will almost always be an issue with floor paint, especially with latex and lighter colors. I don't know that top coating with poly will be all that effective and it might change the look/color of the paint. Scuff marks over stained wood aren't as noticeable as they are over the multi colors of stained wood.

Water and pet stains will bleed thru latex paint! Using a solvent based primer will help to seal the stains and odor [if any]. Ideally you would sand and refinish the floors.

Old 01-12-12, 11:57 AM
L
To clarify, it isn't scuff marks, it's actual paint missing. I sanded it very well and washed with TSP and rinsed 3 times before painting, so I think it was well prepped.

No it wasn't gloss finish, it's closer to eggshell I would guess. But the only one Benjamin Moore had in latex. They do sell an oil but I don't know the finish. Sherwin Williams doesn't even carry an oil based floor paint.

Old 01-12-12, 12:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Lilly - your prep was good but you failed to use a solvent based primer. The primer would adhere to poly and the latex to the primer. It's difficult for latex to form a good bond to the poly. SWP has sold oil base floor paint in the past and while I'd assume they still do, I'm retired and don't go to the paint store very often. It's also possible your local regulations might prohibit or restrict the sale of solvent based coatings.

Old 01-12-12, 01:18 PM
L
Yeah I got really bad advice from the BM people here. They said no primer necessary, and no poly coat on top either. He was an old fart, and I think co-owner of the store, so I trusted him.

Old 01-12-12, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Enamels are formulated for wear so there shouldn't be a need for a poly top coat....... but they really dropped the ball when saying no primer needed

Old 01-12-12, 02:44 PM
J
Mark-- I read from what I'd call a reliable website that using oil based enamel paint ( regular, not floor) and then brushing on a poly top coat would be just as good if not better than floor paint only. Seems like it could be a really tough combo and work well... Any thoughts on this?

Old 01-12-12, 03:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This might be an oversimplification but poly/varnish is basically paint without the pigment. Poly over paint might offer a little more protection since you have to wear thru the poly coat to get to the paint but it also complicates any touch up [and possibly repaint] It's always been my position that it's better to have an extra coat of enamel than to top it off with poly. If you wear thru the top half of enamel, you still more less have the same color. If you wear thru the poly, the paint may appear to be different in color.

Floor paints/polys are formulated to give the hardest possible film so they can withstand the wear from foot traffic. A regular oil base enamel [while it does dry to a harder film than most latex] doesn't dry as hard as floor paint. You'd be relying totally on the poly coat for wear protection. Also depending on the paint color, the oil base poly can change the color some. It will give light colors an amber tint [more so over time], it's not as noticeable with darker colors.

I base my views on 40 yrs of painting and consider them to be right BUT painting is subjective and a case can be made for some opposing views