Painting over a stained and water treated deck

Old 01-15-12, 12:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over a stained and water treated deck

I want to paint my stained deck and don't know if:
1.I should prime it and with what?
2.What type paint do I use over the recommended primer?
It was water treated about a year ago with Thompsons
And was stained about 4 or 5 years ago with a transparent stain.
We had it pressure washed about 5 years ago and it is very dry.
(Big mistake.) Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-12, 12:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Why do you want to paint it? While paint might last a little longer than a solid stain, it's more work now and in the future. You'd probably need to clean the deck, oil prime and then paint. When it comes time to repaint - you'll need to clean, scrape, prime and repaint.

Personally I'd clean the deck and then let the condition of the wood determine what type of stain I would use. IMO the best way to clean a deck is to wet it down, then spray a bleach/water solution on it with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer [garden hose will also work]

Old 01-15-12, 05:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We are getting a white pergola to go over the deck and I don't think the brown stain on the deck railings will look nice with the white pergola. I think white deck railing would be a better choice. I don't like the idea of having to scrape paint in the future but the brown just won't look right. So, I oil prime it (will Kilz work?) an then put Latex paint on it? And that should work with the former sealer on it that is a year old?

Old 01-16-12, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I didn't realize you were just painting the railing. I wouldn't worry about the Thompson WaterSeal, unless it's completely protected from the weather - it's already worn away. Kilz would be bare minimum for a primer, it would be better to use an exterior oil base wood primer. Latex house paint is fine for the top coat, I'd use a house paint with a sheen - it won't get dirty as quick as flat white will.

btw - paint on the railing will hold up a lot better than paint on the deck floor will