Spray Painters

Old 01-16-12, 02:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray Painters

Quite new to woodworking (and forusm as well) and have acquired a few tools so far. I have been looking into getting a sprayer just to make things easier on finishes and painting my finished projects...well and also painting walls in the house and all. With kids wanting to change their room colors and my wife having a knack for interior decorating, a sprayer would be helpful.
Anway, I have been looking at Earlex sprayers, been asking questions and gotten some replies, including the videos below
Earlex Spray Station 5500 HVLP System | Earlex HVLP Spray Finishing Guns.
Review of Earlex SprayStation 5000 | The Wood Whisperer
Curious to know if any of you have used the 5500 and what your experiences are with the different paints and finishes.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-12, 03:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
An HVLP may work fine for small items but it isn't the type of sprayer you would want to use to paint an entire wall. It doesn't have the volume you'd need for large surfaces. A brush and roller can paint a room a LOT faster than you can spray it with an HVLP. While I've sprayed a lot of new construction work, I rarely ever spray in an occupied dwelling - the prep and clean up more than eat up any savings.

Old 02-06-12, 06:17 PM
R
That's good to know! Have you used HVLPs mostly? If so what brands? I thought I'd buy an Earlex but since found out about Apollo sprayers and also Graco..... don't want to overspend but surely don't want to buy something cheap and have to replace it again in a month. Do you have any experiences with any of these?

Old 02-07-12, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I mostly use an airless for spraying since it will spray more volume. I don't have a true HVLP although I do have several HVLP conversion guns that run off of an air compressor. I mainly use them to spray stain, metal doors and an occasional car.

While I've never owned a Graco, I used many of them as an employee, anything from their small .5 gal per minute models to the 733 which pumps up to 3 gpm. Graco is at top of the line in spray equipment. I own 2 Titan 660's which pump .66 gpm. The 660 is a decent pump for a small outfit and costs a bit less than a similar Graco.

A HVLP works well for spraying small items but isn't meant for painting walls, ceilings, etc. An airless is the main type of sprayer used in residential and commercial spraying.

Old 02-13-12, 07:15 PM
R
Thanks a bunch for your input!

Old 02-20-12, 02:05 PM
R
I know I about drove everyone crazy asking questions. But if anyone is looking to buy a sprayer, I can highly recommend the Earlex HVLP 5500. I did a lot of (and I mean ALOT) research and comparing as you all could probably figure out and finally bought one this past week. I am still getting used to spraying (adjusting the flow) on scrap boards but I love it! Two thumbs up from my end!

Old 03-01-12, 08:48 PM
I agree with mark. Air-less sprayers are the way to go for on the job and commercial consumers. HVLP sprayers are really only justified if you have a spray booth with adequate ventilation. They're nice for spraying cabinets, furniture, etc. but for large applications you would never use an HVLP. You can pretty much get the same level of finish if you use a fine finish tip with an air-less for enameling doors, trim, cabinets.