Painting new screen door

Old 01-21-12, 06:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting new screen door

I'm replacing a screen door. I purchased an inexpensive one and have removed the spline and screen. I gave it a coat of exterior oil base primer and wonder if I should use a top coat of exterior oil base paint or is it ok to use exterior latex. I'm thinking semi-gloss would be best.
Any comments?
thanks in advance

Old 01-21-12, 07:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Using paint with a gloss is a good idea since it will be easier to keep clean.

Oil base paint protects a little better than latex but generally latex will hold up better from the weather. Either should do fine although I'd lean towards using latex because it dries quicker and easier clean up. The most important thing is a good coat of oil base primer! don't forget the top and bottom edges! The main thing is to make sure all the wood has been coated with oil primer.

Old 01-21-12, 08:42 AM
B
Thanks, I think I'll add a second coat of oil base primer.

Old 01-21-12, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I really doubt a second coat of primer is required...unless you didn't get good coverage from the first one. Might be better with 2 top coats which is what really resists the sun and weather.

Old 01-21-12, 12:01 PM
B
I thought that a second primer coat may be needed because I didn't fill all the voids where the rails and stiles met.

Old 01-21-12, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's ok if the primer sucked in and didn't cover well but if there are any areas that didn't get good coat of primer - it would pay to apply a 2nd coat of primer. I rarely recommend a 2nd coat of primer but paint is very important for the life of a wooden screen door, if there is any doubt - it would be best to apply another coat of oil primer unless you are using oil base enamel for the top coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: