What color to paint "enchanted forest" themed bedroom?

Old 01-26-12, 11:39 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What color to paint "enchanted forest" themed bedroom?

I'm a teenager and I live in a townhouse. We got permission to paint the walls, but the colors can't be TOO dark.
My room is currently white (like every other room in the house). Here is a pic: (ignore the slight mess under the bed, it'll be cleaned up when I paint xD)
I know it looks really small, especially because of the futon. It's there because my grandma is temporarily staying with us, and it will be folded up into a very small light brown couch next month when she leaves.
I have yellow bed sheets, and gold curtains, but I just want to add that I can get new curtains and bed spread to match the color. I'm obviously thinking green. I want it to come off kinda... enchanted or mystical. I'm really into nature, fairies (not the Tinkerbell kind) so I do want a room that reflects that. I don't want it to look like a 5 year old's room though, once again, I'm not looking for a Tinkerbell type room.

What shade should I pick? I can't use wallpaper or anything, and since this is our first time painting, I need to keep it simple. Maybe 2 or so different colors at the most, if needed. I've been told to paint it green and brown, but I'm not sure how I would use two colors (like would I paint one wall green and one brown, etc)?

Last edited by Nedawi; 01-26-12 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-12, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Tiny pics don't work with this site but here is some info on how you can post a pic or two - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I'd suggest going to a paint store and get some color brochures to help you get an idea of how you want to go. Some paint stores [not paint depts] have software that can take your pic and add their colors to help you see what it would look like.

Old 01-26-12, 02:37 PM
N
Thanks Marksr! I edited my post with the new link.

Old 01-26-12, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'm not sure what an 'enchanted forest' look is
or mystical, although I have been mystified a time or two

Generally walls are painted with either a flat or satin latex paint. The wood trim is always an enamel with semi-gloss being the most popular sheen. Some homes will have oil base enamel on the woodwork and latex paint won't adhere well to oil base enamel. Here is how to find out - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

If you don't want to paint the woodwork and leave it white - that's fine. Personally I like all the woodwork throughout the house being the same color. I'm not sure that green walls with brown woodwork would look all that great although you could paint one wall brown as an accent color. It's also possible to do stripes in most any pattern that floats your boat

You'll want a decent brush and roller. For a novice, I'd recommend a 2" sash [angled] brush and a 1/2" nap roller cover. You'll want a short stick to screw onto the roller frame - that makes rolling a lot easier! While you can use tape if needed, don't over rely on tape - paint can seep under the tape It's best to remove the tape while the paint is still wet. Once dry, the paint on the wall and tape forms a bond and can cause the uncured paint to peel when the tape is removed. This bond can be cut with a razor blade.

Old 01-27-12, 09:06 AM
L
You can probably get those curtains to work, but you'll have to change the bed spread. So I think I'd find a bed spread that I liked, then choose the wall color by what looks good with the spread.

I don't think I'm allowed to post links to commercial sites here. There's one at target that might be a bit younger than what you want. Search for circo fairies there. Several at visionbedding might be more your style. Search for woodland fairy there. I'm sure there are other places that sell this style.

Green and brown would be a darker, brooding style. I see a lot of purple/lavender in the bedding, so a green wall with lavender ceiling or trim would be a lighter style. Take your bedding to the paint store and find a bunch of paint cards that look like they might go with it. Then take them home and tape them on your wall to figure out which one is your favorite. Colors can look very different depending on the light in the room and where the sun hits.

Have fun!

Old 02-05-12, 03:11 AM
J
Recolored photo

Brown and green? Here you go:

I've created this using zabarw.pl - it's a free tool to recolor your photos online. Check it out to try different color schemes for your room. Have fun