Airless Paint Sprayer Recommendation

Old 02-01-12, 12:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Airless Paint Sprayer Recommendation

I am looking for a recommendation for a good airless paint sprayer. My immediate needs are to prime and paint the exposed ceiling in my basement; all of my work would be using latex. I will need a spray head small enough to get behind small pipes and such (I intend on painting everything up there - pipes, wires, nails, etc) and I would very much like to NOT have to stop every half hour to clean the spray head.

I would like to purchase rather than rent as this project will be done over the course of several weekends, plus I will probably wind up doing my mother's basement when I'm done, so the purchase makes more sense. Budget is not unlimited; I would like to spend no more than $300, less is better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 02:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
I will need a spray head small enough to get behind small pipes and such
Can you explain

All airless spray guns are pretty much the same size. How far the tip is away from the wall depends a lot on the pressure used and coating being sprayed. I couldn't imagine ever getting closer than 12" to the wall/object being sprayed. A pole gun [or pole attachment] doesn't take up as much room at the spray tip but it's mainly for painting ceilings or areas that you can't get close enough to. You always want a reversible tip, if it plugs up you just reverse it and pull the trigger to blow a little paint thru it backwards. I've sprayed all day long and not have to remove the tip for cleaning - not like the old days before the advent of reversible tips.

I know very little about the homeowner duty type airless pumps other than a piston pump is always preferable to a diaphragm pump. Commercial duty pumps start around $750

Old 02-01-12, 06:49 PM
S
Essentially my concern is that I won't be able to paint above/around/behind some areas because the spray head will be too big to get anywhere near it, but after thinking about it I realized how dumb that was. Even if I can get the head within a foot of the space, the spray will reach. :-) Thanks for your insight.

Old 02-05-12, 06:14 PM
S
In your price range the Graco Magnum X5 or Titan XT250 or XT290 will do the job. You should not need to stop and clean the spray head unless the wrong filtration is used. both manufacturers have spray tip and filter selection guides available on their websites. Even so these spray units should come with a reversible clean spray tip. A tip blockage will only take seconds to clear usually. There is more airless spray specific information at Airless Sprayers org. Check out the cleaning and storage information which will save you time with clean ups and ensure the airless spray unit you do buy is ready to go for your next spray job. A tip extension will help with reach in difficult to access areas such as behind pipes.