Painting vinyl brick moulding

Old 02-01-12, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting vinyl brick moulding

What's the best method/materials to paint vinyl brick moulding? Specifically, this product.

It's called paint grade, but I can tell you it is pretty glossy and I don't think there is a primer on it.

Scuff it? Prime it? What type paint(I'll use a high quality paint store brand)? An additive maybe?

I'd like to paint it a light beige color. It's a southwest exposure above a large concrete area, so it will be subjected to some extreme conditions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Best to contact the manufactures help line...but this may help some.

http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com...id&ItemID=3170 Good info...different product, same stuff. Not a lot of info about painting though.

Look carefully at the part about gluing miters with pipe cement. Be advised PVC expands when exposed to heat, the darker the color, the more it will expand. If you don't glue the corners they will open up. Try to install in average low 60's temps and keep it out of the sun.

As to the painting, IIRC its clean it well, wipe down with alcohol (or maybe mineral spirits...test first) allow to dry then paint with a quality primer and topcoat. I'd use latex because of the the expansion issue.

When nailing...either use a nail gun or pre-drill first, it's hard to nail through. I used to pre-drill all the holes (before I got a gun), or at least several...tap the nails in til they barely protruded, put in place (with glue on the miters), then drive the nails to hold it.

Old 02-01-12, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
I'd use latex because of the the expansion issue.
Worth repeating
Oil base primers/paints dry to hard and will peel when the vinyl or pvc expands/contracts. Latex coatings are somewhat flexible.

Old 02-01-12, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
Light sanding is never a bad idea. The painters I have worked with say that PVC does not need a primer. And if you do use a primer, they say it's only because you want to dull the surface down a little. You will likely need 2 coats either way (either 1 primer/1 top coat or 2 coats of top coat) since slick surfaces like to show brush strokes.

And better than PVC cement is a white epoxy, like Devcon Trimbonder. It's like glue and a hardening caulk all rolled into one. I also use it to fill any gouges, gaps or nail / screw holes. Then you sand it down flush.

I also screw all the PVC trim we use rather than nail it. I have heard/seen way too many problems with finish nails in the stuff- they just don't hold when the product expands and contracts so much in extreme heat/cold. If trimming a fixed object like a window w/nail fin it's best to leave some space between the brickmould and the window so that the stuff can shrink a little, otherwise it will pop the miters open when it gets cold.

Old 02-02-12, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. So is this product actually CPVC, even though they just call it vinyl?

Old 02-02-12, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Not CPVC...just PVC. Vinyl is also a type of PVC. (or vice versa) PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride. CPVC is chlorinated polyvinyl chloride

Old 02-02-12, 08:14 AM
So the Trimbonder product XSleeper mentions can be used for PVC (their website says CPVC)?

Old 02-02-12, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
I'm sure it can. I've never used it, but I trust his opinion. PVC pipe cement always worked for me...but then I always had it around so that's what I used.

Old 02-02-12, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
Here are the instructions on their website, which talk about "PVC".

On their home page, it says "NOW can be used with cPVC". Apparently this draws attention to the fact that not all PVC glues can be used on cPVC. The current formulation can now be used on both cPVC and PVC.

Devcon is partnered with Azek (a major PVC trim mfg) to promote Trimbonder as their approved structural adhesive. I would recommend it for use with all types and brands of PVC mouldings.