Painting Melamine cabinets

Old 02-02-12, 11:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Melamine cabinets

What kind of paint (Latex/Oil) should I paint my melamine cabinets with? Spray or Roll? Manufacturer recommendation such as BEHR, Sherman Williams? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-12, 03:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Oil based paint isn't what it used to be and latex has gotten better, I don't see many reasons to use oil based anymore. That said, I'd use an oil based primer after a light scuff sand before applying the topcoats.

Brands? I prefer Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams also gets high marks around here. Keep in mind every manufacturer has a cheap line of paint and I wouldn't use that from anyone. You'll also typically get better materials and advice from a paint store than a paint department in a big store.

Old 02-02-12, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Spraying always gives the nicest finish but a decent job can be done with a quality natural bristle brush and sanding between coats to minimize any brush marks. For those with poor brushing skills - a short nap roller is an ok option.

A good paint job starts by making sure the substrate is clean. Then sand lightly and coat with a solvent based primer. Personally I wouldn't trust a latex primer to adhere well.

Oil base enamels dry to the hardest film and will wear the best but besides the long drying time and odor - white oil base will yellow over time. The cheaper oil enamels generally yellow quicker than their quality counterpart. I like the new waterborne enamels, they dry almost as hard as oil base but dries quick, low odor and non yellowing. Latex enamel would be my last choice as it dries to a softer film, again there is a big difference between a quality latex enamel and it's cheaper counterpart.

You'll find the best coatings at your local paint store - not a paint dept in a bigger store. You need to choose from the paint store's upper lines of paint since they also sell cheaper coatings like that typically found in most paint depts.