Paint cracking on hallway wall - any help much appreciated

Old 02-09-12, 06:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint cracking on hallway wall - any help much appreciated

Hi,
Please can anyone assist in a big DIY problem!currently the paint in the hallway in our apartment is cracking almost everywhere and is an absolute nightmare. It is occurring in about 50 - 70% of the hallway. We have started scraping it off where it is occurring being mindful of not damaging the underlying plaster. Please see the images for a better idea on what is happening. You can see in the following image where it is beginning to bulgeCan anyone advise what should be done to resolve this issue and bring our hallway into a respectable condition again. There doesn't seem to be any dampness were the paint is cracking. See the images below for more examples.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How old is your apartment?

Generally if moisture isn't the culprit, it's caused by latex paint being applied over oil base enamel without the proper prep and primer. Over time, latex paint looses it's bond with the oil enamel and starts to crack, bubble and peel. Here in the states, oil base enamel hasn't been used on the walls in 35-40 yrs although there is always the exception.

Old 02-09-12, 06:31 AM
P
It's about nine years old, we just painted over exisitng paint. I am not sure what type of paint we painted over.

Old 02-09-12, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This should help you determine what type of paint is under your paint, http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html
Scrape off one of the bubbles and do the test there.

Another possibility would be a contaminate that may have been painted over. Wax and/or oils would be the most likely, soap residue is another possibility. Is it happening at one certain height or is the peeling/bubbling happening at random areas?

Old 02-09-12, 07:53 AM
P
Thank you I will try this, do you suggest scrapping all the walls and repainting. It has been suggested to paper over the affected areas and repaint is this a viable option?

Old 02-09-12, 09:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem with applying wallpaper is if the paint the paper is stuck to comes loose - so does the paper

Whether you paint or paper, I'd start by scraping off as much as possible, I'd then start with some aggressive sanding [start with 80 grit and finish up with 120-150 grit] Then skim coat as needed, sand, prime and then paint or wallpaper.

I don't know if Zinnser products are available in your local but they have a primer called 'PeelStop' that might be beneficial....... although I've not used it.