Way to prevent door paint from sticking to frame

Old 02-09-12, 07:18 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Way to prevent door paint from sticking to frame

hello
some of our interior doors were recently painted, and after being closed all night they make a loud snap noise when opened in the morning; naturally it's the paint sticking to the frame.

Is there a secret or some way to prevent this (besides sanding down the paint)? applying something?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That is a byproduct of latex enamel. The cheaper latex enamels are more problematic than their quality counterpart. It's also possible that too much paint has been applied over the years causing the doors to bind when shut. How long ago were the doors painted? it can take a week or so for latex paint to fully cure.

I don't know of anything you can apply to the door to prevent the sticking other than sanding it down and using either a waterborne or oil base enamel.

Old 02-09-12, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've rubbed a block of paraffin on the contact areas. It doesn't hurt either surface and since it's clear/translucent...it doesn't really show.

Permanent fix...I dunno. Only time will tell if the paint finally dries enough to prevent sticking.

Old 02-09-12, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
I will sometimes use those clear adhesive rubber pads (round disks about 3/8" in diameter) cut them in half (so that they are semi-circles) and then put one on each end of the latch side door stop. Usually quiets the door down when it closes too.

Old 02-09-12, 10:15 AM
N
thank you
there are brand new doors that were painted 2 weeks ago.

Where do I buy paraffin wax? Local Home depot?

Old 02-09-12, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Grocery stores have paraffin with the canning supplies.

Old 02-09-12, 10:33 AM
L
Put them where XSleeper? I have a very loud front door that I'd love to quieten down a bit.

Old 02-09-12, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
LilyLily,

Interior doors have a door stop, which is the wood which your door presses up against when it is closed. This is where you would place the rubber tabs, so as to cushion the door when it hits the door stop. On exterior doors the "door stop" is actually part of the jamb. If you have weatherstripping on the perimeter of the jamb, that idea probably would not work for you.

As an alternative idea for you, they sell add-on weatherstripping kits that have a foam "q-lon" gasket that comes attached to an aluminum extrusion. You just cut them to length, push them up against the door and screw/nail them on. They would also quiet down a noisy exterior door.

Old 02-10-12, 02:03 PM
L
Thanks XSleeper, I was thinking it had something to do with the latch. lol Now I know what you're talking about.

Old 06-15-14, 07:34 AM
J
candle wax works but not for long

I am trying car wax on the door and on the vinyl gasket. I had an old bottle of carnauba wax in the garage and thought that it might hold up better. Of course it fixed short term without any discoloration on the white door. I'll check back in a few weeks to let you know how it held up.

Old 06-17-14, 12:17 AM
N
Thank you. Let me know if it works.
So you put car wax along the inside edge of the door? All along the perimeter?

Old 06-17-14, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The wax would only be needed where the paint contacts the weatherstripping although it might look better if it's on the whole door. I'm not sure if car wax will work with latex paint. Any wax will need to be removed prior to repainting the door! or the new paint won't adhere well!

Old 06-17-14, 10:24 AM
N
My issue is with a french door to a bedroom, so there is no weather strip.

Old 06-17-14, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you adjust the latch so that the door doesn't make tight contact with the stop?

Old 07-03-14, 11:06 AM
N
marksr

If I understood correctly, you are suggesting that I play with the strike so that the door doesn't close allll the way in? Move the strike plate back a bit so that the door doesn't close so much? I don't know if I have that option, but I will look.

Old 07-04-14, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that's what I meant. Normally interior doors don't shut tight enough for dry paint sticking to be an issue. The door doesn't need to close loosely, just enough clearance so it's not a tight fit - where a sheet of paper would fit between the door and the stop.