3 short detailed questions about painting in my studio

Old 02-11-12, 01:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 short detailed questions about painting in my studio

1.) What is the best paint for painting my bathtub like a purple or olive green?

2.) What is the best solution for dusty-chalky paint. When I rented this studio it was given to me freshly painted, but the paint is all chalky, paper-y, dusty, etc. Should I just paint over it with a better quality paint?

3.)So, my current walls are chalky and unpleasant to touch. I want them smoother so I am thinking of painting them with a glossier paint. When it's time to move out in November, will I be able to just paint these back to the white flat paint style they are now. Or is it kinda difficult to go from glossy walls back to flat paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-12, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
The best advice I can give you is not to paint anything if you're renting, especially less than a year.
At the very least, ask first, unless you don't mind losing your security deposit.
A big no-no to the bathtub.

Old 02-11-12, 01:44 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hello...

1. You do not want to paint your bathtub, as the finish will come off. If you do not care that finish may come off down the road ....you can use a 2part epoxy paint only after stuffing, sanding bathtub surfaces with 180-220 grit fine Norton's best sandpaper. Make sure you apply 2 coats of epoxy paint with about 15 minutes during between coats. mom more no less. If you wait too long paint will harden and dry up fast...again, I don't recommend painting at all unless you plan on eventually replacing.

2. +3. You can apply an eggshell finish or satin latex over walls to ensure a smooth clean-able surface after painting. Yes you can apply flat back over the eggshell, as this is much easier to do vs the eggshell over the flat chalky paint

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-11-12 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising NOT allowed
Old 02-11-12, 01:45 PM
T
Hello, The bathtub is a little grainy. What may be the best for that to smooth it out?

I don't mind losing the security deposit. But I don't see the big deal with painting it as long as I intend to repaint before I leave.

Old 02-11-12, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 87 Posts
Well, did you get a contract or something to sign? You should read it over first. Some do not allow renters to paint (at least not without permission). Some allow you to paint, but only with certain colors. Just the way it is.

Old 02-11-12, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
I've never seen a bath tub diy finish hold up over time

It's never a good idea to just paint over a chalky finish. Paint won't adhere well to chalk! It's best to wash it all off, if that isn't feasible, there are 2 ways around this, add Flood's Emulas Bond to the first coat of latex paint/primer or use a solvent based primer. Latex paint will bond to the primer. EB isn't recommended for interior use but as long as you can open a window it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with the others - talk to the landlord before you make any big changes!

Old 02-11-12, 03:23 PM
T
I may just end up leaving the walls as they are after reading all your comments. I just want to make sure that I don't get paint dust on my clothes (won't happen since I kind of cleaned the walls, but if I were to stick my jacket sleeve in the "newly painted" closet right now, I would def. get white chalk dust on my jacket sleeve).

As for the bathtub, maybe I won't paint it, but I do need to do something about its grainy-ness. For ex. if I were to sit down in it right now, and run my hand across the bottom it is grainy and rough, not smooth. It looks smooth and like a brand new tub, but it doesn't feel like that. BTW, its not dirty.

Old 02-12-12, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible that someone refinished the tub and did a poor job
Fresh paint should not be chalky! [I missed that point yesterday ] Are you sure it was painted? It almost sounds like someone skim coated the walls and never bothered to prime and paint. You might want to discuss this further with your landlord.

Old 02-12-12, 06:25 PM
T
Thank you for the honest input. I'm starting to learn that time is more important than money (at least for me), so I am just going to bypass the landlord step as I should've done it when I first moved in. I will take this on my own So...

Should I just research (a.) How to refinish a bathtub or re-refinish a bathtub

and

(b.) Do I just gotta by primer and paint and paint this myself? Assuming I don't want to paint, can I just wipe the dust off and leave things as they are? I just don't want any health problems.

Old 02-13-12, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
a - you're on your own while I've painted for years I've always passed on tub refinishing and recommended the customer find a pro tub refinisher. Unless the right prep and materials are used the job is doomed for faliure

b - this is a hard one to answer without being there to inspect the walls. If the dust can be wiped or washed off and doesn't return - you can get by without paint, other wise primer/paint would likely be needed.