White Lacquer on trim/doors

Old 02-11-12, 11:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Lacquer on trim/doors

Hi,

We built a home a few years ago and painters used SW Sherwood Cab Acrlyic Lacquer (tinted with a color we chose) on all our trim and doors. The finish is like glass and looks flawless. It's very hardy to say the least - like a piano finish. We have 4 kids, and our trim shows almost no wear and tear, which the painters said would be the case because of the product. I do know that the painters who worked in our home are highly regarded in the area, pretty much only contracting high-end homes. They were a pleasure to interact with to say the least, top notch and extremely knowledgeable.

We want to finish basement soon, and after what we have upstairs, I don't think I'd ever want anything else. Not to mention seeing the difference in trim finish quality in friend's homes. It doesn't even compare... However, it seems like every painter I've talked to, including reps at non SW paint stores say they don't like white lacquer and advise against it. I'm not really understanding this, based on the work in our home.

Just looking for more details as to why. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I've only applied lacquer on the woodwork of a few houses. I don't remember what brand was used. The last one was over 20 yrs ago. It is more labor intensive than latex, waterborne or oil base enamels. I had always thought that a lacquer finish wasn't as hard as waterborne or oil base enamel.

Have you talked to the paint rep at SWP? did the reps at the competitor's store say why they advised against it? it's possible that they don't carry any lacquer coatings. Also many painters have never dealt with lacquer finishes and might be leery of trying something they aren't familiar with. The paint rep at SWP should know which contractors buy their sherwood lacquer and be able to help you find a suitable paint contractor.

Old 02-12-12, 04:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
some don't want to use it because of the odor. Others because it has a low flash point. Though, the flash point of most varnishes is the same as lacquer. The other thing is that it MUST be sprayed. it makes it a lot of work to applied on site
Finally as a non-sw guy I will never recommend to use their product. Use mine. It may be that the non-sw reps you have no customers that use it. In my own company you can come to me and I can discuss the pros and cons about lacquer because I sell so much of it. Other stores will tell you never to use. They do not deal with customers that use it and such have little knowledge about it.

Finally there is the personal opinion. If you were to ask me what I thought of painted trim I would tell you it is not for me.