Painting over wallpaper paste / sizing

Old 01-15-01, 06:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I have just removed wallpaper from sheetrock. The walls look pretty smooth now, as the paper came off easily. What is left on the walls is some wallpaper paste from the prepasted wall paper. Also, there was extra paste applied at the seams, so there are "stripes" of paste down the lenght of the wall. Also, the walls were sized with latex sizing before the paper went on.

My question, do I need to wash all the paste off to paint, or will the paint cover the paste?

Old 01-15-01, 09:28 AM
Visiting Guest
painting on paste

If you can feel a texture of any kind it will show. You could test an area that seems the worst and see what happens. Paint a couple of coats on that spot to see the full effect. It will be worth the effort if you find you don't have a problem. If you do, now you know for sure. Regardless I would still give the wall a light sanding. More to take any shine off so the paint will adhere better. If you think dark areas will show use a base coat that is meant to cover such things like Kiln 123 (I think thats what its called, I have used it in the past.) Good luck.

Old 01-15-01, 01:47 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
landmarker, Be warned that wallpaper paste has the nasty habit of bleeding through latex paint. It is possible for the project to look fine for a few days and then begin to discolor. I would wash the walls with warm water, soaking for 10 minutes and rewetting, until the paste breaks down and will come off with a sponge. If you fear you didn't get it all Zinsser 123 or KILZ Total one would be a good primer to start with. Have this tinted as close as possible to the final coat....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: