painting

Old 03-07-12, 09:07 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting

what is the best low voc - low odor interior paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-12, 03:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've not had many request for low or no VOC coatings so I don't have much experience with them
Unless I'm mistaken the only low VOC paint I've used is what they carry at SWP. From a contractor' view point it worked fine.

Generally the best coatings and advice are found at your local paint store [not a paint dept in a bigger store] Price is usually indicative of quality.

Old 03-07-12, 05:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The March 2009 Consumer Reports rates paint and indicates the claimed VOCs. In the low luster category, Benjamin Moore Aura is rated 4th and True Value Easy Care is rated 6th best. Both have 50 VOCs. About half the paints listed have about 100-150 VOCs, so I'd consider 50 to be low. Mythic and Olympic Premium are rated lower but they have zero VOCs.

In the Flat category, Olympic Premium is rated 3rd and Mythic is rated 7th, both with zero VOCs.

Consumer reports notes that all paints, once pigmented (which is usually required for house paint) were found to have higher VOCs than claimed. You may want to look at Safecoat, which wasn't reviewed but is supposedly "tintable to thousands of colors with zero VOC colorants." Better ask your Safecoat dealer whether their colorants have zero VOCs just to make sure.