Matching ceiling paint - old vs new

Old 03-17-12, 07:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Matching ceiling paint - old vs new

I had to patch a part of the ceiling (~2.5' strip) due to slipping while in the attic

It's painted w/ Behr flat white ceiling paint from HD. The PO left a bucket here in the basement; my guess is it was painted ~2.5 years ago, that was right before we moved in.

So here' the question.
The bucket has only ~1/6th or so paint in it, and it is quite separated from sitting around so long. Being a plastic bucket, not sure how air-tight its been.
Which is more likely to match the color - re-mixing this stuff in the bucket, or just going and buying a new bucket? I have no reason to believe its a special mix or anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-12, 07:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I know with the major paint manufactures [SWP,BM,PPG,etc] they do a good job of keeping their base coatings exact - that means a stock color [not custom tinted] should be exactly the same from batch to batch. I don't know enough about Behr coatings to say if the same is true for them. Theoretically, if your old paint mixes up ok, the color should be exactly the same.

The bigger issue is the ceiling itself. Contaminants in the air will slowly change the color of walls/ceilings. Older ceilings can be particularly difficult to touch up. A lot depends on lighting and the angle of sight.

I'd go ahead an mix up the old paint and see if mixes back together ok and doesn't smell funky. If the paint seems ok, I'd touch up the repair with it and see how it looks. You might need to repaint the entire ceiling to get the touch up to blend

Old 03-17-12, 08:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yeah, really it's the probability of matching the current color I wonder about - this room is huge, ~350 sq ft, so I reeeeally don't want to repaint it all to match ;-)
So I guess the real question is - after only 2.5 years, how much could it really change? We don't smoke, its not a kitchen, no fireplace in use etc.
Right now the only lighting on that half of the room is a centered ceiling fan, and as mentioned this is near a corner, so there should be room for tolerance. During the repair, I noticed alot of imperfection in the drywall I'd never seen before just b/c of the light difference.

Old 03-18-12, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Being near the corner helps the odds of the touch up paint blending. The type of heat [especially forced air] can also 'discolor' the ceiling paint. Hopefully you will get lucky.