Priming and painting new blue board bathroom ceiling

Old 03-24-12, 05:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming and painting new blue board bathroom ceiling

Hello guys. I have just finished installing my new bathroom ceiling using blueboard. I will be installing the exhaust fan soon. Do you guys have any recomendations on what kind of primer and paint i should be using. I live near lowes, Home depot, and Sherwin. This is a small bathroom with a shower. People are telling me to use zinsser 123 primer followed by Perma white zinsser paint but when i looked on hd website it listed perma white as a primer not a paint. Any help on what primer/paint would be great. I did find this primer at hd Complete 1-Gal. Oil-Based White Interior/Exterior Low-VOC Primer, Sealer and Stain Blocker-L101201 at The Home Depot primer&storeId=10051

Last edited by RUSSELLN114; 03-24-12 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-12, 07:12 PM
R
I just read that blue board is meant for plastering first then paint. I better be able to just prime and paint or someone at hd will be in trouble

Old 03-24-12, 07:18 PM
R
OK. I just thought that i could just tape an mud the seams using joint compound, then prime and paint. Please help me.....

Old 03-25-12, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Ya, blueboard is for a plaster veneer but as far as I know there shouldn't be any issues with painting it without plaster...... it's just a shame that you paid more for the drywall than you needed to, regular drywall would have been fine. You can finish the blue drywall like you would with normal drywall.

Zinnser's Perma White is a finish paint! not a primer. PermaWhite is one of the better bath rm paints. Zinnser also makes great primers, most of their latex primers will work fine - including their bullseye 123. I would not recommend using an oil base primer. It's not needed and the fumes are more than most would want to put up with in a confined space

Old 03-25-12, 07:38 AM
R
Thanks marksr. I know it is overkill to use blue board but it wasn't very expensive.($35.00 for the whole bathroom)

Old 04-04-12, 02:15 PM
R
Hey anyone. Is this the perma white you were refering to. Its listed as a prime. I just want to make sure that this is a finish paint. Click Here Perma-White 1-Gal. Semi Gloss Primer-203280 at The Home Depot

Last edited by RUSSELLN114; 04-04-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Here's the link to perma white paint, RustOleum.com

It appears to be the same can, even if you click on the primer icon

I'm guessing their web site is messed up. I wasn't aware they made a perma white primer..... and maybe they don't. As long as the label says paint, I'd call it paint and not primer. The site also says that perma white doesn't need a primer but I'd always use a separate primer on new drywall.